Artistry is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit arts organization encompassing theater, visual arts, arts education, and creative placemaking. One of seven independent organizations based in the Bloomington Center for the Arts, we serve more than 80,000 people annually at the Center and in community-based programs throughout the Twin Cities. In pursuit of artistic excellence, we engage our region’s most talented artists in work that welcomes and develops audiences and opens hearts and minds.
Position Title: Communications Specialist
Responsible to: Executive Director
Exemption Status: Non-exempt (hourly)
FTE Status: Approximately 20 hours per week from February 1 – June 30,
with possibility of extension
Salary/Wages: $18-$20 per hour, non-benefits eligible
I. Purpose of Position
The Communications Specialist (CS) plays a key role in ongoing audience development efforts by developing and maintaining Artistry’s website, biweekly e-newsletter, and social media channels, and by writing and distributing press releases, surveys, and other materials. Though currently structured as temporary, this position may be renewed for an additional term or indefinite period pending completion of a strategic planning process.
II. Responsibilities and Duties
- Develop, write, edit, and design content for electronic communications including but not limited to website, biweekly e-newsletter, targeted single-subject emails, Facebook, and Twitter.
- Develop and design content for simple print pieces.
- Ensure day-to-day maintenance of all electronic platforms with timely, engaging, and well designed content that highlights all program areas.
- Write and distribute press releases according to communications calendar.
- Create press packs including photographs, biographies, and other background information.
- Create and distribute post-performance and other program surveys.
- Help with other marketing and audience development strategies as requested.
A. Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, graphic design, or related field preferred.
- Demonstrated work experience developing and managing content for marketing purposes, with an emphasis in electronic communications preferred.
B. Skills and Abilities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent graphic design skills, including proficiency with Photoshop and InDesign.
- Ability to maintain Dreamweaver-based website, requiring basic proficiency with standard HTML/XHTML/CSS/PHP/JAVA.
- Ability to write and design with accessibility in mind.
- Experience with MailChimp and Survey Monkey preferred.
- Proficiency in all areas of Microsoft Office; familiarity with database development and management desired.
- Familiarity with analytics and SEO techniques.
- Ability to solve technology problems as they arise, calling on outside help when required.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Ability to attend to details while maintaining a big picture perspective.
- Ability to work as a member of a team and individually.
- Interest in and commitment to the arts and Artistry’s mission, vision, values, and programs.
- Resourcefulness, creativity, and flexibility.
- High emotional intelligence and adaptability.
- Energy, enthusiasm, and a can-do attitude.
- A sense of humor.
- Tolerance for ambiguity and rapidly changing circumstances.
- Patience, curiosity, and a collaborative nature.
IV. To Apply
Please email the following documents (PDF) to [email protected] by 5:00 PM on January 18, 2017: cover letter (no more than one page), resume, three references with contact information.
Artistry is an equal opportunity employer.