Theater Mu and Mixed Blood co-production
Two Mile Hollow by Leah Nanako Winkler
Directed by Randy Reyes
Rehearsal and performance schedule:
- Rehearsals start on January 23rd (daytime rehearsals)
- Opening on February 16th
- Closing on March 4th
Equity and Non-equity paid positions.
Auditions on Monday, Oct 23rd from 6:30-10pm at Mixed Blood.
Callbacks on Sun, Oct 29th from 2-4pm at Theater Mu.
Please prepare ONE comedic monologue or dramatic monologue done in a funny way. No longer than 3 minutes, please.
Email Katie Bradley at [email protected] to set up an appointment. Also, please note that your time-slot will be confirmed on or shortly after October 15.
Important notes on casting from the playwright - please read:
This play is a riff on the “white people by the water” genre, which is a popular genre in theater where affluent white people tackle their problems and uncover family secrets in a big house by the water while drinking white wine. This means that The Donnelly’s are a Caucasian family. However- they are played by actors of color- particularly API actors, who as of 2016 comprise only 9% of casting decisions on and Off-Broadway. Keep in mind API can also mean mixed Asian Americans and hapas. Other non-white ethnicities can be in consideration for casting- as long as they are POC. Keep in mind that this work, in addition to being a satire- is a direct response to being sick of an over celebrated, overblown perspective, under-representation, white-washing and other ridiculous things that tend to happen in the American Theater like yellowface in The Mikado (or in the mainstream- movies like Ghost In A Shell). All of that is to say- absolutely no white actors should inhabit any of these roles!
All roles available:
- Mary, 30’s, a plainly lovely daughter. She is corky with a very sad, dark side inspired by deep loneliness, yet she is hopeful.
- Blythe Donnelly, 50’s and 60’s, the Matriarch and widow to the long deceased Derek Donnelly, a great and famous actor. She plays privilege to a manic and scary extreme.
- Joshua Donnelly, late 30’s- early 40’s, a manic-depressive. A hilariously broken and desperately clueless individual with too much money and no aspirations.
- Christopher Donnelly, younger than Joshua, a rugged and handsome movie star. He is completely consumed by how awesome he thinks he is.
- Charlotte, 20’s, she is Christopher’s personal assistant. Beautiful. Charming, Scrappy but can hide it. Enchanted by the glamorous world around her but is extremely smart.
About the play:
A hilarious comedy and parody coupled with moments of disorienting sincerity, Two Mile Hollow explores the dysfunctional family with brutality, awe and compassion. When the Donnellys gather for a weekend in the country to hash out belonging from their recently sold estate, an emotional storm breaks inside while a literal storm brews outside. As this family of famous, longing-to-be-famous, and kind-of-a-mess-but-totally-Caucasian characters come together with their personal assistant, Charlotte, some really really really really really complicated and totally unique secrets are revealed (over white wine).