AUDITIONS for Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare
directed by Jack Neveaux
- WHEN: -Friday December 13 from 6:30 pm – 9:00 pm
- WHERE: Delano Old Auditorium, 700 Elm Avenue, Delano, MN 55328
- WHEN: -Saturday, December 14 from 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
- WHERE: Orono Middle School Aud., 800 Old Crystal Bay Rd N, Long Lake, MN 55356
CALLBACKS (if needed): Monday, December 16 at Delano Old Auditorium
Shakespeare's Twelfth Night will be performed at Delano's Old Auditorium on Feb, 21, 22, 28 at 730 pm; and Feb. 23 at 130 pm. The show will also be performed at Orono Middle School on Mar. 6 & 7 at 700 pm.
Auditions are December 13 in Delano; December 14 in Orono; and callbacks if needed are December 16 in Delano.
William Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night" is a romantic comedy written in the festive spirit of the Twelfth Night of the Christmas season, January 6, as part of events celebrating the holiday season. The play uses mix-ups, pranks, and comic dialogue to achieve its effect. The full title is "Twelfth Night, or What You Will".
As originally written, the action of the play is set in Illyria, in the northwestern Balkans along the Adriatic Coast. Illyrians were ancestors of modern-day Albanians. However, Shakespeare intended Illyria as an imaginary country free of time or borders, like Shangri-La, Oz, or Avalon. This production will contemporize the festive spirit of the original, by setting it in Miami's South Beach during the Mardi Gras season.
In this contemporary interpretation of this Shakespeare comedy, Viola has just returned from a yachting cruise in the Gulf of Mexico where her vessel was caught in a tropical storm. Her twin brother Sebastian was washed overboard and presumed drowned. Looking to avoid thinking about this tragedy, she disguises herself as a young man under the name Cesario, and joins the cadre of followers of “Duke” Orsino. Orsino is a wealthy playboy and has convinced himself that he is in love with another member of the Miami elite, Olivia, whose father and brother have recently died, putting her into a depression where she refuses to be in the company of men, or entertain love or marriage proposals from anyone, Duke included, until another year has passed. Duke uses Viola, who is really disguise as ‘Cesario’, as an intermediary to profess his passionate love to Olivia. In the process, Olivia finds herself falling in love with ‘Cesario’. Viola, however, has fallen in love with Duke, but cannot tell him while she is still in disguise. Viola loves Orsino, Orsino loves Olivia, and Olivia loves Viola. Throw in some hilarious side characters - such as "Sir" Toby Belch, Andrew Aguecheek and the overly vain Malvolio, some brilliant visual comedy and you’ve got yourself a fun, witty, gender-bending good time!
What to expect at auditions
You do not need to prepare anything ahead of time, but it would be beneficial to investigate the play and its characters in advance. For reference the original folio version can be found at: https://is.gd/9vir2U. We will have sides for you to read available at auditions. This is a comedy, so come ready to play with it! If yo have musical experience, you may sing a few bars for us, but there will not be an accompanist. If you own some fancy club-style dance moves, show them to us. If you have an accent you'd like to demonstrate, we're open to that, but it is not required for auditions.
Named Characters/traditional gender/general actor age range**:
- Viola/F/25-35: Twelfth Night’s gender bending heroine
- Duke Orsino /M/30-45: Playboy, object of Viola’s affection
- Olivia /F/30-45: Socialite, object of Orsino’s pursuits
- Malvolio /M/30-50: Steward to Lady Olivia
- Sir Toby Belch /M/40-55: Olivia’s free-loading uncle
- Feste-Clown-DJ /M/F/any age: DJ at the Club Illyria
- Maria /F/30-50: Olivia’s Lady in Waiting
- Sir Andrew Ague-cheek /M/30-40: Sir Toby’s drinking companion
- Sebastian /M/25-35: Viola’s twin, lost at sea
- Antonio /M/30-45: Sea captain; Sebastian’s companion
- Curio /M/30-45: one of Duke’s posse (may double as Olivia’s companion)
- Valentine /M/25-45: Companion to Duke
- Fabian /M/25-45: Sir Toby’s Companion
- Bouncers (2)/M-F/any age; play "large" and "intimidating"
- Various dancers and “posse” members of each camp
**Director’s note: Although the traditional genders are indicated above, we are very open to non-traditional casting. Actors of any gender should feel free to audition for any role they are comfortable with.
Note also, we are approaching this production of Twelfth Night with a non-traditional concept: this is Twelfth Night in the South Beach (Florida) club scene.
Performances will be February 21-23, 28-29 at Delano and March 6-7 at Orono.