Status: Hourly /30-38 hours per week
Duration: Start October 2019 (flexible on start date)
The First Hand works with the costume team as the primary costume technician for the GREAT Theatre mainstage, LAB stage and educational programming. Position will also assist in patterning, cutting, stitching, pulling, building, and organizing for productions. A key part of this position is preparing projects for our amazing volunteer stitchers.
Alters patterns and cuts fabric from the pattern to prepare for volunteers to build.
Sewing theatrical costumes to the specifics requested accurately and in a timely fashion.
Assist with washing, ironing, steaming, pressing, and categorizing as needed.
Assist in completing notes from costume fittings and dress rehearsals.
Assist in fittings by taking notes, fitting garments, etc.
Assist with the organization and storage of all fabrics, trims, and supplies.
Assist with makeup, wigs and costume crafts.
Assist with costume paperwork.
Attend staff meetings, rehearsals, tech, load-in, strike and production meetings as needed.
Ensure that all costume shop work, rehearsals and productions are kept professional and appropriate to the mission of GREAT.
This job description is not meant to be all-inclusive. This position may be asked to perform other related duties in order to meet the ongoing needs of GREAT.
• Theatre knowledge, sewing, cutting draping experience desired
• Excellent verbal communication, research, multitasking and organizational skills
• Knowledge of Word, Excel, and other commonly used PC programs
• Flexibility with the ability to work in a fast paced, high energy artistic environment
• Ability to work collaboratively with different personality types
• Ability to support GREAT’s values and operating procedures.
• Technical Theatre degree desired, but equivalent skill set welcomed, including Fashion degrees or work in costume shop or fashion house.
• Ability to work both independently and as a contributing member of a team
Please apply by sending an email with subject line "Costume First Hand and your name" in the subject line to [email protected] with your resume and cover letter. Please reach out with questions.