The Guthrie Theater is seeking Box Office Generalists to join our Audience Services team. This position supports and is cross-trained in all Box Office operations, including season ticket processing, service counter, group sales and tours. This position is full-time (40 hours per week), non-exempt and benefits-eligible.
The Guthrie is dedicated to building an equitable environment that is mixed across lines of difference and strongly encourages applications from Black, Indigenous, People of Color, women, transgender and non-binary candidates. This position will remain open until filled and until a diverse and qualified pool of candidates is identified. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply.
Reports to: Box Office Manager
The Guthrie Theater engages exceptional theater artists in the exploration of both classic and contemporary plays connecting the community we serve to one another and to the world. Through its extraordinary artists, staff and facility, the Guthrie is committed to the people of Minnesota, and from its place, rooted deeply in the Twin Cities, influences the field as a leading 21st century arts organization.
Every year more than 500 people, both on stage and off, help ensure our success in creating and supporting the highest level of theater. As an organization, we are committed to our values of Artistic Excellence, Community, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, and Fiscal Responsibility.
The Guthrie Theater would like to acknowledge that we gather on the traditional land of the Dakota People and honor with gratitude the land itself and the people who have stewarded it throughout the generations, including the Ojibwe and other Indigenous nations.
The Box Office Generalist provides excellent customer service to all internal and external stakeholders of the Guthrie. This position supports and is cross-trained in all Box Office operations, including season ticket processing, service counter, group sales and tours. Box Office Generalists will be familiar with and back up to Front of House as part of the Audience Services team. All employees are expected to center, model and champion the Guthrie’s core values of Artistic Excellence, Community, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, and Fiscal Responsibility.
This position is full-time (40 hours per week), non-exempt and benefits-eligible. Compensation for this position is $16.95 per hour plus benefits. The typical schedule for this role is Tuesday – Saturday/Wednesday – Sunday, 1:00 – 9:00 p.m. This person will work remotely until our building reopens at which time full-time in-person work is required.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Operations Support
• Cross-trained and follows all established procedures in Box Office operations with the ability to process all orders and work within all Audience Services areas: single tickets sales, season ticket processing, group orders, tours, window, rush line, and service counter.
• Staff Level Four Service Counter during performances, working autonomously with Front of House staff and Security to resolve patron issues or concerns as needed.
• Assist in maintaining an organized and efficient office environment and assist the Box Office Manager in office supply ordering.
• Assist with database maintenance and the processing of gift certificate printing, packages and Rush Club cards.
• Track and fulfill requests for ticket donations following established guidelines and procedures.
• Assist the Season Ticket and Group Sales Manager as requested.
• Learn tour scripts and highlights of the building. Lead/assist tours as needed.
• Cross-trained to assist Front of House as needed.
2. Stakeholder Support
• Provide exceptional customer service, taking every possible step to ensure that customers have a positive experience.
• Become familiar with the Guthrie, theater houses, productions, special performances, and offerings in order to share information with internal and external customers and guests accurately.
• Use knowledge, skills, and judgment to assist customers, seeking help if something is unclear or requires additional input/assistance.
• Solve customer service inquiries or issues as they arise before or during a performance, all while adhering to Guthrie ticketing policies and maintaining excellent customer service and composure.
3. Financial Support
• Follow established procedures for money-handling transactions.
• Maintain all security and credit card standards in processing of credit card sales.
• Responsible for processing quick cash sales and accurately providing change.
• Accurately reconcile daily shift transactions.
4. Talent Support
• Assist in sharing correct policy and procedures with part-time and new staff.
• Assist in training of new part-time staff including providing shadowing opportunities.
• Assist the Audience Services Coordinator with onboarding of new staff.
5. Strategy Support
• Actively participate in and foster a positive environment in meetings, activities and trainings.
• Support the strategic priorities of the organization.
• Foster a work environment incorporating the Guthrie values of Artistic Excellence, Community, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion, and Fiscal Responsibility.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Demonstrated customer service experience required. Prior Box Office experience preferred.
• Demonstrated experience with a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system or electronic ticketing system, Tessitura preferred.
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities.
• Present a polite and professional demeanor when interacting with customers and colleagues.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and within a team.
• Demonstrated ability to maintain composure under stressful situations.
• Demonstrated ability to concentrate effectively in a busy environment.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in person, over the phone and via radio.
• Ability to follow all emergency procedures
• Experience, ability, and commitment to working with individuals and teams that are mixed across lines of difference such as race, gender-identity, sexual orientation, religion, ability, age, class and immigrant status.
• Must be willing and able to work flexible hours/days, including evenings and weekends, reflective of the dynamic schedule of the theater.
A NOTE FROM HUMAN RESOURCES
Applicants must submit the following to be considered for the position:
• Cover Letter
Apply online here: https://recruiting.ultipro.com/GUT1000/JobBoard/47c392e4-6d7f-1e47-226b-...