History Theatre in downtown St. Paul has an opening for the following position:
Job Title: Artistic Associate
Report to: Artistic Director
Hours per week: 30
History Theatre is a non-profit professional theater company whose mission is to entertain, educate, and engage the community through developing and producing theatrical productions that explore Minnesota's past and the diverse American experience. History Theatre’s work provides a unique lens which links our past to the present, explores our common heritage, and illuminates our understanding of what it means to be American. The theater has commissioned and developed over 122 new plays and musicals and is a four-time Ivey Award winning theater. Founded in 1978, History Theatre presents 5-6 mainstage shows each season in its 570 seat theatre in downtown St Paul; a week-long RAW Stages New Works Festival and Next Stage Play Development Workshops. A robust program of community engagement and educational residencies, along with History Theatre on Tour, expands and deepens the theater’s mission. More info: www.historytheatre.com
The Artistic Associate is a key position at History Theatre.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Main Stage Season:
- Assist the Artistic Director with planning and executing the mainstage season
- Assist the AD in casting and assembling creative team
- Attend rehearsal and provide feedback to AD, as requested
- Secure rights from literary publishing houses for existing scripts
- Secure rights from music publishers for copyrighted music used in productions
- Direct a mainstage production in some seasons, as assigned
- Direct an educational production in some seasons, as assigned
- Act as a representative of the theater by doing curtain speeches, facilitating post-show discussions, and other opportunities to speak/facilitate at events, etc.
- Assist marketing and development teams to ensure marketing/grant-writing copy accurately represents the artistic product
New Work Development:
- Work alongside AD to meet with playwrights and develop new play ideas
- Draft commission contracts for playwrights, work with playwrights’ agents, manage payment schedules
- Manage the Raw Stages New Works Festival each January (a reading series of new scripts commissioned by HT)
- Work with AD to select shows to be included in RAW Stages, establish yearly objectives
- Establish budget and rehearsal schedule
- Work with AD to cast the readings and assemble creative teams
- Direct one Raw Stages reading each year
- Assist development team in securing grant funding for RAW STAGES
- Audit rehearsals as possible and offer feedback; coordinate reading “debriefs” w/ each collaborative team
- Facilitate post show public discussions
- Other administrative duties as needed
- Manage the Next Stage Workshops every summer (further development of scripts from Raw Stages)
- Handle script submissions and inquiries; review with AD and Playwrights Center staff and other partners for potential reading or production
- Assist in promoting scripts developed by HT
- Work with other HT staff to identify organizations and individuals in the community to partner with around History Theatre’s productions
- Plan, oversee and evaluate (with community representatives, artists, and HT staff) Community Engagement Programming.
- Coordinate on-site and off-site special events that include excerpts of History Theatre plays
Other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Directorial skills – 3 years experience
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- Ability to work independently, manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Strong organizational and administrative skills
- Experience with preparing budgets and contracts
- Affinity for the mission and goals of History Theatre
- Ability to work with a variety of people including artists, community members, staff, volunteers and board of directors in a team environment
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook a plus.
The position requires about 30 hours per week, with some evenings and weekends. Competitive pay and benefits package included.
The ideal starting date is between May 21-25th, but the position will remain open until filled.
History Theatre is committed to diversity in the workforce and is an equal opportunity employer.
TO APPLY: Please email a letter of interest, your resume, and contact info for 2 professional references by April 25th to Ron Peluso, Artistic Director: [email protected] with the subject line “APPLICATION: ARTISTIC ASSOCIATE.”