Rosetown Playhouse is seeking to hire a Vocal/Pit Director for its 2018 summer production, STATE FAIR. This position could be filled by one person or, if there is interest and qualified individuals, to split the position into music director (vocal) and pit director.
Dedicated to building community & creating theater, this will be Rosetown's 19th season making quality productions. Ideal staff will be "outside the box" thinkers who are good collaborators and are also willing to work with LARGE groups of people. The average cast size for our summer show is 80-115 people.
Auditions will be held April 30th & May 1st and rehearsals will begin in mid May. Performances at the scenic Como Pavilion July 6th-8th and 12th-15th.
APPLICATIONS ARE STILL BEING ACCEPTED! Matierals must be received by 4/28/2018.
Please send a resume and cover letter to [email protected] with "Music Application" in the subject line. Qualified candidates will then be contacted to schedule an interview.
The music director works with and teaches vocal parts to an intergenerational cast with a broad range of vocal abilities and experiences. This individual needs to embrace performers of all ages, both soloists and our ensemble. The music director should be attuned and observing to what is happening in rehearsals and how it impacts the musical aspect of the show.
General Production Team Member Responsibilities
- Attend weekly production meetings (scheduled based on availability)
- Communicate with production team members via email and in person
- Willingness to adapt to changing needs throughout rehearsal process
Music Director Responsibilities
- Meets with director and choreographer to understand director’s vision of the show (including determining cuts, voicings, solos, tempos, etc.)
- Creates music recordings for choreographer which coordinates with the musical score prior to first rehearsal
- Creates music tracks to assist vocalists with learning parts (as needed)
- Assists in auditions and casting
- Teaches and rehearses all musical numbers with soloists and ensemble, working with cast of all ages and musical abilities and experiences
- Holds any additional rehearsals (within reason) to accomplish learning of music
ORCHESTRA PIT DIRECTOR
Orchestra Pit Conductor Responsibilities
- Works in tandum with the vocal director
- Recruits necessary instrumentalists
- Distributes orchestra parts to players before orchestra rehearsals begin
- Rehearses pit orchestra before combined rehearsals with cast
- Communicates all show information with orchestra
- Assists with arrangement/set up of orchestra pit for performances (with assistance of volunteers)
- Directs the performances
- Maintains a spreadsheet of instrumentalists
- Collect all rented orchestra parts