TigerLion Arts’ work is enriched by the myriad life experiences of the actors, crew, and administrative personnel that make our shows possible. We believe that a cast and production team that exemplifies diversity of race, cultural origin and gender expression is imperative to bringing a show like Nature alive for a diverse audience. Though many of the tracks in the production play historical figures, all roles are open to members of any racial/cultural background. Actors of color, Indigenous actors, LGBTQ+ actors are particularly encouraged to audition.
Do you love creating and performing in an ensemble? Does being outdoors invigorate you? This summer TigerLion Arts (creators of The Dragons are Singing Tonight, The Buddha Prince, & KIPO!) will launch the 2019 national tour of their beloved outdoor walking play entitled Nature ~ the mythic telling of Emerson and Thoreau’s mutual love of the natural world. This play is written and created by local actor Tyson Forbes, a direct descendant of Ralph Waldo Emerson, along with director Markell Kiefer. Nature has toured to 20 parks and arboretums nationally. This is a complex piece that will challenge and fulfill you both artistically and physically.
For more detail on the production please visit http://www.tigerlion.org/nature/ and view our 2018 Regional Emmy award-winning documentary here https://www.tpt.org/nature-walking-with-emerson-and-thoreau/
Audition Dates & Times:
Wed Feb 13 - 10am - 3pm
Sun Feb 17 - 1 - 6pm
Tues Feb 22 - 10am - 3pm
Please note: We will be auditioning small groups every half hour. If you are unable to attend the audition, please inquire about scheduling an alternate time.
Sabes Jewish Community Center (Activity Center), 4330 S. Cedar Lake Road, Minneapolis, MN 55416
- Prepare one 30-second monologue
- Prepare sixteen bars of a song to sing a cappella, or you may accompany yourself
- Bring an instrument if you play one, and have one
- Come dressed and ready to move, sing, and play. You will be working individually and in a group setting
- Bring a hard copy of your headshot/resume; (non-professional photos will be accepted — Just make sure your face is clearly visible)
- Plan to arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled audition time to fill out an audition form and to provide your availability/conflicts for summer/fall 2019
- To request an audition email Markell Kiefer, with the dates/times you are available, at: [email protected]
- Rehearsals and Tour Dates: July – Mid-October, 2019; a detailed schedule will be available soon!
- Tentative Performance and Tour Locations: Minneapolis, Rochester, Ely, Bemidji and Northfield, MN; Custer, SD; Okoboji, IA; and Concord, MA.
- Please note: Girl Actor position is for select MN locations/dates only. Please inquire for details.
We are looking for experienced, committed actors who have strong movement and vocal skills, a love of nature, and a desire to work in the elements. The Ensemble will be playing the following roles: Mary Moody, Margaret Fuller, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Lydian Emerson, Theodore Parker, Bronson Alcott and a host of additional characters. In addition they will fill the world of the play with music, sound and movement.
Henry David Thoreau (Male-identifying Actor – Lead Role)
The play centers around the relationship between Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David Thoreau. The role of Thoreau spans from his birth through his death. At times Thoreau is working closely with the Ensemble in highly physical storytelling, whereas at other moments he is solitary or in more intimate two person scenes with Emerson. The role is physically demanding and we are looking for performers who have a strong movement background, a love of nature, and a desire to work in the elements.
Ellen Emerson (age 8–12, Female-identifying – Ensemble role)
Ralph Waldo Emerson’s spirited daughter, is a confident young girl who enjoys running through fields, chasing butterflies, doing cartwheels, spinning in circles, laughing, loving, and getting in trouble. Performer should have a strong voice. Singing and dancing skills are a plus.
NOTE: The role of Ralph Waldo Emerson has been cast.
These are paid positions. Equity actors will receive equity contracts. Compensation for non-equity adult performers will be comparable to equity standards. Girl Actor will receive a stipend. Performers are responsible for their own local transportation, but rehearsals will take place at an accessible, central Twin Cities location. Transportation, room and board will be provided while on tour outside of the metro area.