SteppingStone Theatre is looking for qualified individuals who have interest and experience in youth work to join our team as Extended Care Facilitators during our upcoming Summer Camp season. Open to anyone aged 20+ who has at least 1 year of recent & verifiable youth work experience. Interest in the Performing Arts preferred. This is an exciting, engaging, and flexible part-time opportunity for summer! An excellent option for those who seek or possess degrees in Education, Youth Work, Performing Arts, or related fields.
We believe all young people are Makers. They’re Artists. And they need a place that provides them a sense of belonging and opportunity to contribute to their world. When young people make art together, they change themselves, and the world around them, for the better. Art making experiences with SteppingStone are rich, sometimes messy, collaborative processes from the first name game through the final sharing for family and friends. Our classes create space for youth to explore theatrical skill-sets while developing a strong sense of community and belonging. We welcome students of all skill and ability levels from Ages 3-18.
Over the course of a year, SteppingStone will reach approximately 40,000 youth and their families through 5 Main Stage Productions. We’ll offer approximately 150 unique class opportunities to 1,500 students in our building and reach an additional 2,000 students with 30+ Workshops & Residencies held throughout the east metro in conjunction with our Community Partners. SteppingStone has been a proud community member of the twin cities east metro since 1987.
SUMMER AT STEPPINGSTONE
Summer Camp is the busiest time of year at SteppingStone Theatre! This year, in addition to our Main Stage production of Junie B. Jones the Musical, SteppingStone will offer 114 unique class opportunities for students ages 3-18, held on-site, with 8+ Community Partnerships & Collaborations held throughout the east metro. Our typically small office staff expands to include 30+ Teaching Artists and Summer Staff members. There’s a fantastically positive energy to the hum, hustle, and bustle of the whole operation.
We are seeking independent leaders with a strong desire to work with students. The Extended Care Facilitator is responsible for managing and facilitating SteppingStone’s Extended Day Program, which includes Before Care & After Care services for our camps & workshops. While an educational background is helpful, a love of working with children is a must! The Extended Care Facilitator will design & implement structured activities while independently supervising mid-sized groups of students ages 5-13. It is essential this position provide a welcoming, safe, structured, and nurturing environment to all.
RESPONSIBILITIES & EXPECTATIONS
- Work independently without direct supervision
- Work with a wide age range of students (typically ages 5-13 but may span as large as 5-18)
- Work with groups of 3-16 students at a time
- Develop & implement highly or loosely structured activities in the following areas: Arts & Crafts, Movement/Games/Physical Outdoor Activity, and Performing Arts
- Develop strong relationships with students & families
- Assist students in working-through difficult behaviors & big emotions
- Tend to student illness & injury
- Maintain enthusiasm & energy throughout the program; be invested in each student’s experience
- Calmly, quickly, independently, and accurately respond to emergency or safety situations
- Maintain tidy classrooms, public spaces, and class supplies/equipment
- Verifiable minimum of 1 year (1,500 hours) work experience with mid-sized groups of elementary-aged students
- Reliable transportation to & from St. Paul (bus, bike, car, carpool…)
- Working cell phone & email which are checked regularly
- Able to adhere to a set work schedule and be prompt in arrival
- Strong communication, relationship building, and customer service skills
- Strong classroom management skills
- Strong ability to think on feet, adapt, and problem-solve frequently
- Strong understanding of youth work Best Practices and safety procedures
- Able to provide high-quality customer service experience
- Able to exert a high-level of energy, sit, stand, bend, twist, lift, walk, and run for 2-4 hours per day
- Strong awareness to the sensitivity, safety, and wellbeing of students
- CPR/First Aid/EpiPen certified or ability to become certified within 30 days of hire
- Background in child development, education, youth work, performing arts, or related field preferred
- A good sense of humor with the ability to take things in stride and be flexible
Position Title: Extended Care Facilitator
Start Date: June 10
End Date: August 23
Work Site: SteppingStone Theatre – 55 North Victoria Street, St. Paul
Workload: Part-time, seasonal, shift-work – 11-27 hours per week
Shift Days: Monday-Friday. No evening or weekend requirements.
Shift Hours: 6:45am-9:15am; 3:30pm-6:30pm
Supervisor: Erin Granger, Creative Learning Manager
Application Deadline: Saturday, March 23, 2019
Interviews (in-person or by phone): Wednesday-Friday, March 27-29
To apply, please complete the attached Application Form. Email Cover Letter, Resume, and completed Application Form to Erin Granger, Creative Learning Manager, at [email protected].
Please note: to be considered for this position, all three documents must be submitted.
STATEMENT OF INCLUSION
At SteppingStone, we are committed to inclusion and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity, orientation, ability, or economic circumstance. We highly encourage those from underrepresented populations to apply.