Expressions Community Theater will be holding auditions for Larry Shue’s The Nerd. Auditions will be held at the Lakeville Area Arts Center, 20965 Holyoke Avenue on June 3 and June 4 from 6 - 8 p.m. with possible callbacks on Wednesday, June 5. Please bring a headshot or current photo with you along with your calendar. Auditions will consist of readings from the script. The read through will be on June 10 and rehearsals will begin June 11. Performances will be August 2-11, 2019
One of the funniest plays ever written, The Nerd is an extraordinarily inventive, side-splitting comedy. The action centers on the hilarious dilemma of a young architect, Willum Cubbert, who is visited by a man he's never met but who saved his life in Vietnam. The visitor, Rick Steadman, turns out to be an incredibly inept, hopelessly stupid "nerd" who outstays his welcome with a vengeance. The Nerd is the stuff of one-liners, non-sequiturs and lots of physical comedy, but with a heartwarming storyline.
WILLUM CUBBERT – male 20-40
- Single, architect. A bit of an old fashioned. Currently working on a hotel project that does not inspire him, causing him to be a bit on the melancholy side of life. Has a love interest in Tansy, but does not know how to express it.
TANSY McGINNIS – female 20-40
- Single, works with the media, practical and upbeat. Loves to play hostess and has a love interest in Willum as well. She too has trouble expressing her affection towards Willum.
AXEL HAMMOND – male 20-40
- Drama critic, close friend to Willum and Tansy. He is sarcastic and snarky, a bit of a prankster.
WARNOCK WALDGRAVE – male 40-60
- Hotel owner who is all business and no frills. Tries to please wife Clelia and their son, but doesn’t measure up.
CLELIA WALDGRAVE – female 30-60
- Upper class and tries to remain calm, cool and collective but her calmness is very thin.
THOR WALDGRAVE – Child or Teen (male or female)
- Very spoiled and entitled, spirited.
RICK STEADMAN – male 20-40
- Hopeless nerd, bumbling oaf with no social sense, little intelligence and less tack.