Theatre Latte Da is seeking a Costume Shop Manager for their upcoming production of BERNARDA ALBA directed by Crystal Manich, costume design by Alice Fredrickson. Work will begin in earnest on December 9th and continue until opening on January 18th. Some meetings and planning will be required prior to December.
Please send a cover letter and resume to Allen Weeks, [email protected] to apply.
Bernarda is a ten-person musical based on the play The House of Bernarda Alba by Federico García Lorca. Bernarda Alba is a powerful matriarch, who imposes a strict rule on her household following her second husband’s funeral. Bernarda’s five daughters, however, struggle with her cold regime. The girls’ dreams, desires, and the lure of the outside world begin to permeate their isolated existence.
Title: Costume Shop Manager
Reports To: Production Director
Position Type: Contractor, Temporary
Time Commitment: Average 6 weeks commitment, part-time, approx. 20-30 per week
POSITION PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVES
The Costume Shop Manager is a key member of Theater Latte Da’s production team who analyzes and implements all costume designs and is responsible for the delivery of all costume pieces to the standard required by the Costume Designer and Director.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Execute, oversee, and actively participate in the build process including pulling, shopping, patterning, stitching, and draping as necessary for design execution.
- Attend fittings, production meetings, designer run-throughs, technical rehearsals, and previews.
- Hire and supervise additional over-hire personnel as needed within budget limitations.
- Estimate material and labor expenses on proposed costume designs.
- Work directly with the designer and director to establish priorities and keep expenditures within budget.
- Track and reconcile costume related expenses.
- Act as liaison with stage management for fittings and rehearsal notes.
- Respond to Stage Management daily rehearsal and performance reports with information as necessary.
- Coordinate with other departments on any elements that share responsibilities.
- Create paperwork as needed for the successful operation of the production including piece lists, care instructions, and costume change plots.
- Familiarize the Wardrobe Supervisor with all costume pieces on their proper use and care.
- Maintain inventory of expendables; order supplies and stock items as needed.
- Maintain shop equipment in good working order and communicate with the Production Director when repair or replacement is required.
- Assist the Costume Designer to pull and assemble looks for all PR photoshoots and marketing materials.
- Oversee the return of all rented and borrowed pieces upon closing.
- Minimum 2 years practical work experience in the preparation and construction of theatre costumes.
- Knowledge and experience in areas of theatrical costuming
- Demonstrates experience in management
- Excellent knowledge of costuming materials
- Knowledge of costume and fashion history
- Working knowledge of safety standards in the costume shop with equipment
- Knowledge and experience in basic accounting procedures and budgets
- Ability to operate standard costume shop equipment
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Experience sourcing costume materials, rentals, and equipment.
- Able to lift 50+ pounds unaided and in repetition.
- Able to maintain a safe and orderly working environment.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
Posted November 5