Editor's Note 2015: Be aware that some of this information may be out of date. This article was originally published in 2009. We haven't updated it though because you can simply find all your space rental needs at this free website spacefinder.org
Wouldn’t it be great if we could rehearse on the very same stage that we will be performing on? Well, we've grown accustomed to disappointment, haven't we? Here is an abbreviated list of space available for rent. Please email us with additional resources. We also encourage you to think outside the box, so to speak. Do you live in an apartment complex with a shared recreation room? Are you a member of a community or service organization like a church, synagogue, school, or other who might provide you with access to their building, when it’s not in use? Maybe you should join such an organization. Or cast someone who is a member of such an organization. Would the cost of a couple space heaters for the basement be less than rental fees? Or does your show really need to be in a theater? Site-specific work might save you money on rent, excite your audience and the press, and mean you can actually rehearse where you will perform. Necessity is the mother of invention; and her children are sometimes beautiful.
Please contact us to update listings.
Anda Flamenco Company and School
Studio is 21′ × 26′ with hardwood sprung floor and mirrored wall and windows. Rent is $15 per hour for rehearsals and private classes, $30 per hour for group classes.
Center for Performing Arts
Three spaces, all available for rent on an hourly or weekly basis. Discount for Fringe Festival participants.
- The Sunroom is 22′ × 50′ and has mirrors and a hardwood sprung floor.
- The Chapel is 22′ × 34′ and has mirrors, barres, and a hardwood sprung floor.
- Studio 107 is 14′ × 30′ and is carpeted on concrete.
Children's Theatre Company
Rental of classrooms, dance studio and rehearsal hall spaces are based on availability and CTC’s schedule. Best times to rent classrooms and dance studio: 7 p.m. to 9:45 p.m. weeknights and Saturdays; 9 a.m. to 9:45 p.m. Sundays. Rental rates are for nonprofit organizations; 501(c)(3) documentation is required. Classrooms rent for $50 for three-hour minimum plus $10 per additional hour. Dance studio and rehearsal rooms A and B are $100 for three-hour minimum plus $15 per additional hour.
- Four education classrooms: room one 20′ × 25′; room two 34′ × 22′6″; room three 25′ × 26′; room four 22′ × 35′.
- Dance Studio: 60′ × 35′ with sprung floor and wall of mirrors.
- Rehearsal Room A: 56′ × 47′ located on the fourth floor with windows on the east and south sides of the room.
- Rehearsal Room B: 30′ × 56′ located on the fourth floor with a wall of windows facing south, and a wall of mirrors.
The Directors Studios
The Directors Studios offers 2 studios with brand new sprung and Marley
flooring, piano/keyboard, and a full sound system. Plus, central air, free
WiFi, dedicated M/F bathrooms, ground level access and comfy waiting area.
Opening September 2009, The Directors Studios is taking reservations.
Theater with 40 seats, 24′ deep, 40′ wide.
Grace-Trinity Community Church
- The Sanctuary, Library, and Gamble Room are often used for student recitals and receptions.
- The Robinson Room has hardwood floors, a small stage, a studio piano, and an adjacent commercial kitchen.
- The Borton Room is carpeted with vaulted ceilings and includes a studio piano. This room is divided into sections which creates a useful large open area for groups.
Just off Highway 280 on University Av. near Raymond. Theater stage is 32′ × 24′ with sprung floor, wing space, 115 seats, two dressing rooms, green room, sound system. Rent is $1,100 per week or daily rates available.
Hennepin Center for the Arts
Studio 5B is located on the fifth floor and there is an elevator. It is 52′ × 38′ with 10′ ceiling, 48′ of 7′ high mirror, vinyl Tarkett floor, 163′ of permanent ballet abbres at both 32″ and 42″ above the floor, piano, CD player, and bathrooms. Rents for $15 per hour for rehearsals or $17 per hour for classes, auditions, workshops. Discounted rates if prepaid are $9 per hour for rehearsals and $11 per hour for classes, auditions, and workshops.
Hopkins Center for the Arts
Irwin and Alex Jacobs Dance Studio is 42′ × 28′, has a maple surface floor, rails, and mirrors on north wall. Rents for $30 per hour with a two-hour minimum or $120 daily with an eight-hour maximum and $20 per additional hour.
In the Heart of the Beast Puppet and Mask Theatre
- The Avalon is 30′ deep by 40′ wide with 25′ ceiling, flexible seating for up to 300 on a fully accessible raked floor, handicapped accessible restroom. Rents for rehearsals $10 per hour weekdays, $25 per hour nights and weekends. Tech rehearsals, performances, and events are $50 per hour.
- The Lake Street Social Center is 50′ × 70′ with 24′ ceiling, sprung wood dance floor, fully handicapped accessible restrooms. This space is now managed by Contacto. Call Zefe at (612) 363-3445.
Jawaahir Dance Company
Three spaces, available hourly with discounts for daytime and long-term rentals. All spaces are on the second floor and there is no elevator.
- Big Room is 50′ × 50′ clear span with 12′ minimum ceiling height, 40′ × 7′ glass mirrors, maple floor, professional sound system, and dressing room. Rents for $19 per hour for rehearsals or $25 per hour for classes 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Sun Room is 45′ × 19′ clear span, with 9′ minimum celing height, 38′ × 7′ glass mirrors, maple floor, professional sound system, 4′ × 8′ whiteboard, dressing room, and operating windows on three sides. Rents for $15 per hour for rehearsals or $21 per hour for classes 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Post Room is 47′ × 33′, with 9′ minimum ceiling height, 7′ × 7′ glass mirror, sprung composite wood floor, and two columns. Rents for $15 per hour for rehearsals or $21 per hour for classes 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Lake Harriet Dance Center
Two studios with sprung hardwood floors, mirrors, bars, and sound system. Rents for $10 per hour.
Theater with 16′ × 28′ stage, sprung wood floor, dressing rooms, brand new rest rooms, and a piano. Primarily suited for performances, but available for rehearsals as schedule allows. Rent is $50 for three hours or $750 per week. Daily rates can be discussed as well.
Available during non-Opera rehearsal periods, primarily May through mid-August and December. All spaces come with one or two tables, 10 to 20 chairs, and five music stands.
- The Bemis Rehearsal Hall is 58′ × 46′ with 22′ ceiling, sprung floor, and mirrors on the 46 foot wall that can be uncovered as needed. Rent is $50 hourly, $200 daily, and $1,000 weekly.
- The Jones Rehearsal Studio is 38′ × 29′ with 10′6″ ceiling, sprung floor and mirror on the long wall covered with curtains. Rent is $25 hourly, $100 daily, and $500 weekly.
- The Dance Studio is 38′ × 29′ with 9′ ceiling, sprung floor, and mirror on the long wall. Rent is $25 hourly, $100 daily, and $500 weekly.
Studio 16′ x 32′ with hardwood floors, natural light, grand piano, 8 tables and 60 chairs. Available for hourly, daily, weekly, monthly rent. Inquire for rates and availability.
Two spaces, both rent for $15 per hour for rehearsals and $20 per hour for classes and workshops. Both spaces are on the second floor and there is no elevator.
- Dance Studio: 1,000 ft² with hardwood floor, 9′ ceiling, mirrored walls, lots of windows, and one restroom.
- Rehearsal Loft: 1,000 ft² with 18′ vaulted ceiling, four skylights, and one restroom.
Theater is 1500 ft², with sprung, hardwood floor and 17′ tall ceiling. Dimensions are 32′ wide × 48′ long, of which risers, seating, and tech booth take up 7′ along north wall. Free parking. Rates for rehearsals are $8 per hour before 4 p.m. on weekdays and $12 per hour evenings and weekends. Rates for classes are $11 per hour before 4 p.m. on weekdays and $20 per hour evenings and weekends. Visit the site to see calendar, FAQs, and to fill out online application.
Pillsbury House Theatre
Pillsbury has a dance studio that is 23′8″ × 40′ with a wood floor, dance barre and mirrored wall. A fitness room and shower facilities are connected to the studio.
Studio is 50′ × 28′ with sprung dance floor covered by Marley, sound system, two portable ballet barres, separate entrance with vestibule and lounge area, kitchenette, and separate bathroom. Inquire for rates.
Studio is 30′ × 50′ clear span with 11' ceiling, barefoot friendly finished wood floor, lots of windows and light, ADA accessibility, and free on-street parking. Inquire for rates and availability.