Location: Saint Paul, MN
Categories: Arts, Executive
Salary range: $55,000 - $62,000 per year (room to grow)
Benefits: Medical, Retirement
Job type: Full Time, Exempt
Reports to: Board of Directors
Supervises: Staff, Contractors
About Youth Performance Company
Youth Performance Company (YPC) is a world class, award-winning theater that empowers young people as actors, dancers, singers, and more. Working side by side with professional artists, young artists at YPC develop critical lifelong skills and are empowered to reach their artistic potential. Young artists develop leadership skills by participating in all aspects of creating cutting-edge performances, including writing, directing, building sets and designing costumes, becoming leaders in the process. Families from all over the Twin Cities rely on the fresh and exciting mainstage shows produced each season, including annual shows dedicated to themes of social justice. In addition, young people from kindergarten through high school participate at YPC in acting, singing, dancing, improv, and other classes.
YPC’s guiding principles are diversity, equity and inclusion in all aspects of our work; theatrical excellence; social justice; and youth development, leadership and community building.
For more information about YPC, please visit Youthperformanceco.org
The Artistic Director (AD) is the creative and inspiring force behind Youth Performance Company. The AD has an entrepreneurial spirit and passion for youth, especially teens, and theater. The AD determines the artistic vision of the Company while upholding its mission.
The AD creates a season of shows and directs a minimum of one show per season. The AD will coordinate and oversee the direction of the season and other shows. The AD develops and manages the annual budget and hires and supervises administrative and artistic staff. A crucial element of the AD’s role is fundraising, and developing and sustaining relationships with YPC alumni, families, donors and community allies. The AD is the inspirational and highly professional face of the company. The AD is invested in the communities YPC serves, and in the practice of equitable and inclusive practices in all aspects of their work. The AD is passionately committed to the power of youth, mentoring young people and fostering a safe and inclusive environment for them.
Compensation and benefits
Starting salary range is $55,000 - $62,000, with medical and retirement benefits.
- Hire, supervise, and evaluate personnel including administrative staff, and directors, designers, stage managers, and others
- Develop, implement, and evaluate programs for the year
- Develop annual program budget
- Work collaboratively with staff and contractors to provide programming of the highest quality of artistic output
- Act as a spokesperson for the organization via speaking engagements, public and social appearances and at fundraising events and one on one solicitations
- Foster the development of good relations with other cultural organizations by participating in meetings and joint activities where appropriate
- Report to the Board of Directors on a regular basis to give an update on activity
- Direct at least one production per season
- Work directly with youth to foster positive and impactful youth development.
- Proven record in theatrical direction/production
- Proven ability to work with and inspire groups of youth aged 13 – 21
- Experience in stewarding a comprehensive fund development programs
- Demonstrated success in management operations, including budget, development, and staff and facilities management
- Accomplished negotiation, problem-solving, and conflict resolution skills
- Proven ability to respond creatively during uncertain times in the performing arts
- Demonstrated commitment to advocating for and implementing Diversity, Equity and Inclusion practices in all areas of leadership, including program selection and evaluation, performance practices, production, casting, contracting, budgeting and community outreach
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice as evidenced not only in casting and hiring, but in selection of programming materials, and fostering of safe space for all
- Knowledge of non-profit marketing and communications including the role of social media
To apply please send
- Cover letter
- Three references with contact information
Email application to: Ron Lattin at YPCBoardPresident@gmail.com. If you have questions please call Ron at (612) 272-5312
Application deadline: February 15, 2022