Artistry Seeks Director of Marketing
POSITION TITLE: Director of Marketing
SALARY: Competitive; DOQ
TYPE: Full-Time, Exempt
DEADLINE: Until Filled
Organization and Position Summary
Artistry is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit theater and visual arts organization committed to engaging our region’s most talented artists in work that welcomes and develops audiences and opens hearts and minds. We produce regionally recognized theater and exhibitions, offer arts education for all ages, and consult with the City of Bloomington and other partners on creative placemaking. Artistry is based at the Bloomington Center for the Arts, a multidisciplinary complex owned and operated by the City of Bloomington and programmed by Artistry and six other independent arts organizations.
The Director of Marketing will develop, manage, implement, and evaluate marketing strategies that help Artistry achieve significant growth in program attendance and ticket revenue as projected in our strategic and business plans. The Director will help position Artistry as the premier arts and culture organization in the south and west Metro and a regional destination for theater and visual arts experiences of exceptional quality. As a key management team member, the Director will provide strategic counsel to the Executive Director and Board of Directors.
- Develop and oversee the implementation and evaluation of long-term and annual marketing plans and budgets for theater, visual arts, and arts education that support the organization’s strategic and business plans.
- In partnership with artistic directors and the executive director, develop the organization’s annual earned revenue goals, including ticket sales goals.
- Develop and implement marketing work plans and evaluations for single tickets and season subscriptions.
- Develop and implement media relations and social media activities to meet attendance and revenue goals and positioning the organization as a vital, regional arts and culture asset.
- Oversee all website design, content, and maintenance, and all email marketing.
- Oversee the design and production of all major print projects.
- Monitor attendance and earned revenue compared to budget and take action where needed to ensure goals are met.
- Evaluate the return on our investment of human and other resources in marketing strategies and tactics.
- Lead the ongoing development and refinement of brand standards and ensure compliance with brand standards in all print and online communications.
- Direct and manage market research activities.
- Manage marketing and audience services staff and help develop new capacities for group sales and partnership-based marketing initiatives.
- Lead key initiatives designed to provide a distinctive patron experience per the organization’s strategic plan.
- Advise and partner with the Executive Director on community relations activities, crisis communications, and certain fund development initiatives.
- Serve as the organization’s designated spokesperson in the Executive Director’s absence.
- Attend Board of Director meetings.
Experience and Education:
- Bachelor's degree in marketing or equivalent marketing and public relations experience.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in marketing and public relations with demonstrated success in meeting revenue goals and other key objectives.
- Experience in performing arts marketing required.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in managing staff and developing and managing department and project budgets.
- Experience in social and electronic media content development and database usage.
- Knowledge of layout, design, and print production.
- Excellent writing, editing, proofreading, verbal communication, and presentation skills.
- Deep interest in the arts, especially theater and visual arts.
- Nonprofit and arts nonprofit experience preferred.
- Strategic thinker and hands-on executer/manager (willing and able to set strategy, manage, and “do”).
- Motivated by organizational success, both financial and artistic.
- Entrepreneurial spirit who is energized by building/growing programs and organizations.
- Likes to operate within a strategic framework.
- Ability and willingness to attend key events and performances outside of normal office hours.
- High emotional intelligence and generosity: likes to see others succeed/collaborates well.
- Sense of humor and ability to maintain perspective under stress.
- Submit Resume, Cover Letter, and writing sample (500 to 1,000 words) to Executive Director Andrea Specht at [email protected].
- Please be prepared to share examples of successful marketing campaigns you have developed and implemented.
Artistry is an Equal Opportunity Employer.