The Cowles Center's Audience Services Manger plays an important role in the day-to-day operations at The Cowles Center, creating a welcoming and safe environment for patrons attending events throughout The Cowles Center complex. This position is responsible for all aspects of The Cowles Center’s box office and front-of-house operations, including supervising a part-time staff of events associates, managing The Cowles Center’s volunteer program, and overseeing all ticketing activity and patron interactions.
The Audience Services Manager reports directly to the Director of Operations & Production.
This position is ideally suited for a professional with strong leadership experience in box office management, sales and/or membership management, and those who thrive in customer service, forward facing positions.
This position’s schedule will vary depending on performance schedule, but the Audience Services Manager is generally expected to work all events. During show weeks, the ASM should expect to work a Wednesday or Thursday through Monday schedule. On non-show weeks, the ASM will generally work Monday-Friday.
Primary Customer Service and Management Responsibilities:
• Ensures smooth and efficient ticketing operations, provides work direction and motivation for box office and front of house staff to ensure outstanding patron experience.
• Serve as on-site event/box office manager for all ticketed and non-ticketed events with FOH staff as required.
• Respond to patron and event staff issues; work with other staff (security, facilities, stage management) for resolution as needed.
• Provide exceptional customer service to patrons. Ensure that customers have a welcoming and positive experience, including during difficult situations • Address issues in an equitable, professional, and courteous manner.
• Model a professional, composed demeanor when interacting with customers, staff members and volunteers.
• Relay feedback from audience/patrons with the other departments as needed
• Create hiring and training policies and procedures to ensure that performances and events are properly staffed through recruitment, hiring, training, and scheduling. • Manages volunteer program (scheduling, communication, motivation).
• Facilitates customer service and emergency training for all customer service staffs in line with industry best practices.
• Serves as box office and front of house point of contact for performing groups and others for all Cowles Center ticketed events.
• Models superior customer service standards for the department in compliance with organizational standards and goals.
• Work collaboratively with marketing, facilities, production and other staff to develop language and policies to enhance the customer experience.
• Staff phone/in-person box office hours as assigned during the work week.
• Serves as primary user and software expert for all ticketing software, volunteer management software and staff scheduling software.
• Implements ticketing policies and procedures in compliance with organizational standards and goals
• Builds and manages all events in the ticketing system including rental and season performance events.
• Works with other internal departments and external renters on sales, promotions, special offers, and events.
• Generates sales reports and works with others to analyzes data as needed
• Creates reports for performances and incidents.
• Maintain ticketing database and reconcile with development department/donor database and support marketing statistics as requested. • Maintain and evolve emergency management procedures.
• Process and track comp ticket requests for staff and artists.
• Process requests for charitable ticket contributions
• Responsible for sending post-show surveys to patrons and aggregating the data for use by various departments.
• Responsible for sending Know Before the Show emails to patrons at required intervals
• Performs other related duties and responsibilities as required or assigned.
• Prior experience with AvPro ticketing system or comparable system.
• Excellent customer service experience and positive attitude (enjoys working with people)
• Demonstrated supervisory and leadership skills to effectively recruit, select, train, and motivate staff and volunteers.
• Experience with different types of audiences and stakeholders.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to give appropriate consideration to others’ concerns in order to address and resolve a variety of situations.
• Ability to navigate diverse, sometimes unanticipated, customer service needs and/or emergencies.
• Ability to work under pressure of deadlines in an evolving, sometimes demanding environment.
• Strong working knowledge of computer systems and software including word processing, spreadsheet, and data management software.
• Strong attention to detail and excellent follow-through
• Ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays.
• Previous experience in customer service and sales driven environments
• Basic understanding of HTML.
• Experience in fine arts/event management.
• Interest in the performing arts, specifically dance performance.
The Cowles Center also offers a positive work environment, competitive benefits (health, dental, 403(B) w/ match, long-term disability and life insurance) and a mission you can stand behind.
The Cowles Center provides equal employment opportunities for all persons regardless of race, creed, color, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, or status with regard to public assistance, disability, sex, or age. The Cowles Center is proud to be an Affirmative Action / Equal Employment Opportunity / Veteran / Disability employer.
How to apply
To apply, please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until a candidate is identified.
Learn more about The Cowles Center on our wesbite at thecowlescenter.org.