AUDITION ANNOUNCEMENT – September 17, 23 & 24, 2017
Woodbury Community Theatre
is pleased to announce auditions for
A Christmas Story-The Musical
Performances – DECEMBER 1-10
This musical, which received rave reviews on its Broadway run, is based on the movie classic that runs round-the-clock on television every Christmas. Set in the 1940s in the fictional town of Hohman, Indiana, the musical follows 9-year-old Ralphie Parker and his quest for the Holy Grail of Christmas gifts—an Official Red Ryder carbine-action 200-shot Range Model air rifle. Rebuffed at every turn with a similar echoing response, Ralphie plots numerous schemes to achieve his desperate desire for the coveted BB gun. All the iconic scenes from the movie are here: Ralphie's friend, Flick, getting his tongue stuck to the flagpole; his brother, Randy, getting dressed in his snowsuit; the bullies, Farkus and Dill; the leg lamp award; the bunny suit; the Chinese restaurant; Christmas dinner; and many others. The delightfully versatile score ranges from gentle ballads to show-stopping full-ensemble numbers such as "Ralphie to the Rescue!” , "A Major Award," "Sticky Situation," "Up on Santa's Lap," "Somewhere Hovering Over Indiana" and the inevitable "You'll Shoot Your Eye Out!" A Christmas Story, The Musical will bring an exciting new dimension to those who have seen the movie and will certainly stand on its own for those who haven't.
Cast Needs: Amanda Hestwood will be directing this ensemble cast with many featured & ensemble roles for children who can sing and dance, and play roles ages 9-16 and several adults who can sing and dance.
· Jean Shepherd/Narrator – A charismatic storyteller who has the ability to weave a spell and draw an audience into his magical world.
· Ralphie Parker- Cute and winsome; a bit mischievous with a twinkle in his eye
· Mother-A vibrant, always busy woman who is in charge of the family
· The Old Man – A man with a good heart buried inside of a gruff exterior.
· Randy – Ralphie’s little brother; cute, cuddly and whiny.
· Schwartz – a classmate.
· Flick – a classmate.
· Esther Jane – a classsmate.
· Mary Beth – a classmate.
· Scut Farkus- A textbook example of a school-yard bully.
· Grover Dill – Farkus’ younger and smaller side-kick.
· Miss Shields – The local elementary school teacher.
· Santa –The ill -tempered and slightly inebriated Santa from Higbee’s Department Store.
· Other Ensemble Roles: Additional ensemble roles will be cast.
Auditions at Merrill Rivertown Campus-380 Rivertown Dr, Suite 200, Woodbury, MN 55125
Sign up for an audition time here -\www.SignUpGenius.com/go/20F054AA9AB2EA2F49-achristmas1·
Sunday, September 17
o 12:00 pm to 5:00pm
· Saturday, September 23
o 12:00 am-5:00 pm
· Sunday, September 24
o 12:00 pm -5:00 pm
Performances on the Loft Stage @ East Ridge High School:
· Friday, December 1, 7:00pm – Opening Night
· Saturday, December 2, 7:00pm
· Sunday, December 3, 3:00pm
· Friday, December 8, 7:00pm
· Saturday, December 9, 7:00pm
· Sunday, December 10, 3:00pm
Our Meet & Greet and first rehearsal will be on October 9. Meet and greet from 6:00-6:45 and rehearsal to follow until 9:00. (Kids will dismiss earlier.)
Rehearsals will generally run weeknights from 6:00-9:00 (kids dismiss early), with the possibility of Saturday and Sunday afternoons.
· Please sign up on our Sign-Up-Genius site for an audition date and time
o · Plan to arrive 10 minutes before your scheduled time, and prepare to stay 30 minutes past your time.
· Bring sheet music and be prepared to sing at least 32 bars of a musical theater song (NOT a “pop” song) that showcases your vocal range and strength – song sheets can be found online - here's one resource: http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/. Also, be prepared to sing scales.
· Come dressed and prepared for a short dance audition.
· Bring with you a completed audition form, which is available on the Sign-Up Genius site.
· Be sure to list ALL conflicts on your audition form. THIS IS IMPORTANT! Please fill this out completely as it helps for planning rehearsals. ALL conflicts added AFTER handing in your conflict sheet may mean losing your part in the show (unless an illness or an emergency.)
· Bring also a photo (that you don’t want back). A small school photo or "selfie" is just fine!
· People will be notified if they are being called back. NOT being called back does not mean you are not cast. Often times, only certain parts need callbacks. We will let all auditioners know the results via email.
As a volunteer-driven organization, we depend on cast to support crew needs. Each cast member (or member parent, spouse, sibling, friend, etc.) is expected to contribute at least 4 hours of time in helping to support the show by helping build/paint the set, sew costumes, make props, hang up posters, assist with lights and sound, help backstage, usher, house manage, help with refreshments and other tasks that arise. This 4 hours in addition to in addition to load in on November 18 and strike on December 10, which are both required by all cast members and one of their adults.
- Auditions & Rehearsals will be held at the Merrill Community Arts Center, 380 Rivertown Drive, Suite 200, Woodbury, MN 55125.
- Performances are held at the The Loft Stage Theatre at East Ridge High School, 4200 Pioneer Drive, Woodbury, MN 55129.
Additional questions may be directed to [email protected].
Monday, September 25 Posted August 22