Minnesota Fringe connects adventurous artists with adventurous audiences by creating open, supportive forums for free, diverse expression. Through festivals and dynamic year-round programs, Fringe is an artistic disruptor for local and touring artists to take bold risks, develop new ideas, and hoist themselves to the next rung of their artistic ladder. Our flagship Festival has distributed $2.5 million+ to artists over the last decade.
Fringe seeks 25 creative, dynamic self-starters to join our team as Box Officers for the 30th Anniversary Festival. This is a hands-on opportunity to help run front of house operations for a large scale festival that sells over 30,000 tickets each year over our 11-day Festival.
Vaccination Policy: As of October 1, 2021, all new job offers are conditional based on the candidate being fully vaccinated for COVID-19. All full-time, part-time, and seasonal staff for the 2023 Minnesota Fringe Festival must provide proof of completed COVID-19 vaccination according to CDC guidelines two weeks prior to their start date.
Responsibilities & Expectations
- Attend Box Officer training sessions
- Execute box office operations during the Festival such as:
- Handle monetary transactions by selling tickets, buttons, and passes
- Carry out front of house policies and procedures
- Calmly find solutions for issues that arise in the field
- Interact with patrons, volunteers, and artists to facilitate processes
- Carry out daily opening & closing procedures
Successful candidates will have a variety of the following skills:
We are open to the following having been acquired in different industries or in a
different context other than the performing arts. We encourage applicants to apply if their experience and skillset is a fit for this role, even if they do not meet every qualification on this list.
- Enthusiasm for the mission of Minnesota Fringe and the communities we serve
- Great customer service skills
- Experience working in sales and/or with volunteers and patrons
- The agility to meet ever-changing demands in a fast-paced organization
- Excellent written, communication, and organizational skills
- Superb interpersonal skills under pressure in the field
- An ability to work on projects independently and a willingness to learn new skills
- Ease with counting, handling money, & dealing with tablets/technology, & Google ecosystem
- Reliable transportation (access to mass transit/car/bike/set of wheels is crucial)
- Knowledge and/or interest in theater, performing arts, or event management a plus
- Previous Fringe volunteer or staff experience a plus
Time Commitment: July 27-August 15
Box Officers can expect to work at least 5 shifts during the 11-day Festival. Box Officer shifts fall on evenings and weekends during the 11-day Festival, which takes place August 3-13. Shifts are between 4-6 hours. Box Officers will need to be available to work until 10pm during some of their shifts.
*Box Officers must attend a mandatory training session on Wednesday, July 26th from 6:30-8:30pm.
Box Officers receive $15/hr, paid as a W2 employee, which will be paid along with a training stipend in one check by the end of August. Box Officers will receive vouchers for the 2023 Festivals to see shows when not on duty.
Interested persons should fill out our application form, found at this link.
Positions will remain open until all are filled.
Questions and requests for accommodations can also be addressed to Felicia Cooper at [email protected]