CARMELA FULL OF WISHES
At Children’s Theatre Company (CTC)
Directed by Tatyana-Marie Carlo
When Carmela wakes up on her birthday, her wish has already come true–she’s finally old enough to join her big brother as he goes to the laundromat. Together, they travel through their neighborhood, meeting various character as they go. Along their journey Carmela finds a lone dandelion growing in the pavement. But before she can blow its white fluff away, her brother tells her she has to make a wish. If only she can think of just the right wish to make . . .
Things to Know About the Show
- This play is an adaptation of Carmela Full of Wishes by Matt de la Peña
- The characters in this play display various degrees of fluency in Spanish
- Both adult actors sing a capella during the play
- Content Advisory:
- This play touches on the topic of deportation -- Carmela’s father is physically absent in the story because he must get his “papers fixed”
What to Prepare
- Sides provided by the theatre
We are looking for Latinx actors to be at this audition call. We are casting youth age 10 and up. See below for more details:
(Youth Role) Carmela – turns 7 years old at the beginning of the play; friendly and determined.
(Youth Role) Big Brother – older than Carmela; is often annoyed by his little sister.
(Adult Role) Mamí/ Hunched Old Lady/ La Paleta Lady – mid-30’s-mid-40’s; needs to be able to play a range of characters
(Adult Role) Papí/ Señor Lopez /Flower Boy/ Bodega Owner – mid-30’s-mid-40’s, has a nice singing voice; needs to be able to play a range of characters of different ages
All roles are understudied. We will be casting 2 adult understudies and 2 youth understudies.
September 14 through December 4, 2022
We rehearse/perform Tuesday through Sunday – after school and all day on the weekends. There would be a eight-week period in which students would be required to work with their schools to be out of school during our technical rehearsals and for student matinee performances. For the technical rehearsals (October 11-22), they would be able to attend school in the morning – needing to be at the theatre by 11:30am. For the student matinees (October 25-December 4), they would be called at the theatre from 9:30am – 12:30pm Tuesday through Friday.
YOUTH AUDITION: Sunday, May 1 2:00pm – 5:00pm (additional time will be added if needed)
ADULT AUDITION: Monday, May 2 2:00pm – 5:00pm (additional time will be added if needed)
- We will be holding these auditions in person at the Children’s Theatre Company at 2400 Third Avenue South/Minneapolis 55404.
- We share the building with the Minneapolis Institute of Art (Mia). Our entrance for auditions is through the Stage Door on the south side of the building across from the parking ramp.
- We will be following our COVID protocol for these auditions – everyone will be masked. More information will be sent closer to the audition date.
- To sign up for a time slot, follow this link*: Carmela Full of Wishes Audition Times
- * Please note that there are different audition slots for Youth and Adults
What to Submit
- YOUTH: Please follow this link (Youth Audition Form) to fill out our audition form.
- ADULTS: Please follow this link (Adult Audition Form) to fill out our audition form.
- Please follow this link (Conflict Form) to fill out a conflict form for any conflicts you may have between September 14 and December 4.
- You will be reading a section of the script (“sides”) for the director of the production, Tatyana-Marie Carlo. CTC Casting Director, Traci Shannon will read the script along with you. A member of the stage management team will also be present, watching and participating.
- You can find the sides to practice in advance in the Airtable link above.
If the director, Tatyana-Marie Carlo, would like to see you again to spend more time with the script, those callback times will be determined closer to the audition date.
To ensure the safety of our company and audiences from COVID-19, we will follow all CDC guidelines, along with Equity approved protocols throughout the production period. All company members must be fully vaccinated and boosted if eligible by August 1, 2022 and provide proof of vaccination.
CTC GENERAL CASTING STATEMENT
Children’s Theatre Company is actively recruiting and seeking performers from under-represented communities including, but not limited to, people of color, performers with disabilities, and LGBTQ performers for all casting, recognizing the value and importance of reflecting the diversity of our audience on stage.