DIARY OF A WIMPY KID
At Children’s Theatre Company
Directed by Jenn Thompson
Greg Heffley is stuck in the middle: he’s a middle son entering middle school with a popularity ranking in the middle of his class. How will he move up in the world when he can’t shake Rowley—the dorky, naïve classmate who insists on being Greg’s best friend? Greg’s increasingly desperate schemes drive the two apart, until his plans backfire and he learns what friendship really means.
Things to Know About the Show
- This musical is based on the series of books by Jeff Kinney.
- This show premiered at CTC in an earlier form in 2016.
- Content Advisory:
- Language is reflective of middle school and high school vernacular such as “sucks,” “turd breath,” “dork,” “butt munch” and “stupid loser.”
- Multiple characters suffer the pain of middle school bullying, feeling outcast and ostracized.
- Rodrick explores the boundaries of moving into the adult world with picking inappropriate reading material and questionable language (“Who wants their chestnuts roasted?!”)
CTC is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion and justice in our organization and our community, and thus we seek a broad spectrum of young people to tell our stories onstage. We strongly encourage and welcome student actors who are Black, Indigenous or People of Color, performers with disabilities as well as those who are from other underrepresented communities. We are gender-inclusive – all are welcome.
Due to our current COVID protocol, we will only be casting youth 12-18 who will be fully vaccinated by March 1, 2022.
- GREG HEFFLEY (LEAD) - ANY ETHNICITY Actor plays 11 year-old boy, first year middle schooler, driven with a burning desire to achieve popularity and acclaim, at any and all costs. Equal parts cocky and insecure, Greg’s single-focus on popularity often makes him short-sighted and immature, almost costing him his closest friendship. Seeking strong, comedic young performer with a powerful, unchanged singing voice.
- ROWLEY JEFFERSON (LEAD) - ANY ETHNICITY Actor plays 11 year-old boy, first year middle schooler, with a determinedly sunny disposition and über positive outlook on life. Almost blindly devoted to Greg, but ultimately capable of standing up for himself. Seeking strong, comedic young performer with a powerful, unchanged singing voice.
- RODRICK HEFFLEY (SUPPORTING) - ANY ETHNICITY Actor plays sullen, sarcastic 16 year-old, older brother of Greg, and his main tormentor. Brash and obnoxious, Rodrick is the front-man of the heavy-metal, garage band; Löded Diper and delights in torturing Greg and taxing their parents’ goodwill. Seeking strong, comedic young performer with a powerful, singing voice. High rock tenor mix to D5.
- MANNY HEFFLEY (SUPPORTING) - ANY ETHNICITY Impossibly adorable and spoiled baby brother of Greg and Rodrick. Manny enjoys exalted status as his parents dote on him and make constant excuses for his behavior. Seeking strong comedic young performer of any gender, to portray a toddler.
- CHIRAG GUPTA (SUPPORTING) - SOUTH ASIAN DESCENT Actor plays middle-school boy, Greg’s quick-witted and wily classmate, who is enthusiastically engaged in a years long prank-battle with Greg. Seeking strong, comedic young performer with a powerful unchanged singing voice.
- PATTY FARRELL (SUPPORTING) - ANY ETHNICITY Actor plays middle school girl, ambitious, driven, overachieving classmate of Greg’s. Always out to best him at every turn, Patty sees success as the only destination. Seeking strong, comedic young performer with a powerful singing voice.
- FREGLEY (SUPPORTING) - ANY ETHNICITY Actor plays middle school boy, Greg’s deeply odd-ball classmate, who is sensitive to sugar and unapologetically interested in his own boogers. Seeking strong, comedic young performer with a powerful, unchanged singing voice.
- ENSEMBLE – ANY ETHNICITIES Seeking additional performers to play a variety of roles, including Bryce Anderson (dreamboat classmate of Greg’s who enjoys unfettered adoration and popularity), Chris Hosey & Lionel James (elementary school buddies Greg is trying to move beyond), Joshie (Boy Band teen heartthrob), Yvette & Pauline (part of the popular Patty Farell groupies) and Teen Thugs (members of Rodrick’s prank-playing, head-bashing crowd).
March 19, 2022 through June 18, 2022 (with a possible 2-week extension)
We rehearse/perform Tuesday through Sunday – after school and all day on the weekends. There would be an eight-week period in which students would be required to work with their schools to be out of school during our technical rehearsals and for student matinee performances. For the technical rehearsals (April 19-29), they would be able to attend school in the morning – needing to be at the theatre by 11:30am. For the student matinees (May 3 – June 9), they would be called at the theatre from 9:30am – 12:30pm Tuesday through Friday.
Thursday, October 21 3:00pm – 8:00pm
Friday, October 22 2:00pm – 8:00pm
Saturday, October 23 10:00am – 1:00pm
- We will be holding these auditions in person at the Children’s Theatre Company at 2400 Third Avenue South/Minneapolis 55404.
- We share the building with the Minneapolis Institute of Art (Mia). Our entrance for auditions is through the Stage Door on the south side of the building across from the parking ramp.
- We will be following our COVID protocol for these auditions – everyone will be masked. We ask that only one parent/guardian attend – and that adult must show proof of vaccination to enter the building.
- To sign up for a time slot and fill out our audition form, follow this link: https://airtable.com/shrIiIK9DpzA0mn7B
What to Prepare
- There is no need to prepare anything. We will teach you a song and a dance combination during the time of the audition. Please come dressed to move in comfortable clothing and shoes.
If the artistic team would like to see you again to spend more time with the work, those callback times will be Saturday, October 23 from 2:00pm – 7:00pm and Sunday, October 24 from 10:00am – 1:00pm. Please be aware that we will be contacting people Friday evening and Saturday early afternoon to set up callback times. It will be a quick turnaround.
To ensure the safety of our company and audiences from COVID-19, we will follow all CDC guidelines, along with our industry union approved protocols throughout the production period. All company members must be fully vaccinated by March 1, 2022 and provide proof of vaccination.
Please do not hesitate to reach out with questions to Stacy at email@example.com