Minnesota Fringe connects adventurous artists with adventurous audiences by creating open, supportive forums for free and diverse expression. Through our summer festival and dynamic programs, Fringe is an artistic disruptor for local and touring artists to take bold risks, develop new ideas, and hoist themselves to the next rung of their artistic ladder. Our flagship Festival has distributed $2.5 million+ to artists over the last decade, creates a $1.9 million economic impact on our state and was recently awarded City Pages’ Best Festival.
Fringe seeks creative, dynamic team-players to join our staff as Development and Communications Director. This is the perfect opportunity for an individual who understands the mechanics of fundraising and appreciates that organizational success relies on relationship-building. Using a mission-driven approach, this person will help build a strong organizational identity, inspire donor and volunteer loyalty, and increase fundraising.
All are welcome to apply. Minnesota Fringe is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workforce and environment for all members of our staff and board, and for all our artists, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and patrons. We strongly encourage people of color and BIPOC individuals, LGBTQIA+ individuals, people with disabilities, and veterans to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will be notified of their application status within a reasonable time frame.
Minnesota Fringe does not and shall not discriminate based on race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services.
The Development and Communications Director will partner with the Executive Director to pursue opportunities to reach earned and contributed revenue goals, contribute to building and promoting the established brand of Minnesota Fringe, and promote the programs and artists served by the organization.
Tasks may include but are not limited to:
- Create and adhere to an annual fundraising and communications plan to ensure integration between the fundraising apparatus and communications strategies.
- Oversee and manage the organization’s membership and donor communications, including cultivating relationships with new and existing supporters and managing fundraising campaigns / events to build relationships with key stakeholders.
- Write engaging communications and ensure brand consistency across all channels, addressing various constituent circles according to devised tactics.
- Manage and execute all communications outlets: press releases, email newsletters, website updates, all social media channels, and others as developed.
- Coordinate creation of marketing materials and branded merchandise.
Successful candidates will have an assortment of the following (or equivalent) skills:
- Enthusiasm for the mission of Minnesota Fringe and the communities served;
- Agility & flexibility to meet ever-changing demands in a fast-paced organization;
- Ability to self-motivate and work on projects independently;
- Strong leadership and collaborative skills;
- Enthusiasm to learn new systems, contribute ideas, and problem solve;
- Knowledge and/or interest in theatre, the arts, or event management a plus;
- Results-oriented strategic thinker who can identify and complete detail-oriented activities to move a Big Idea forward.
Candidates will be more likely to succeed in this role if they have:
- Previous professional experience in a nonprofit / arts organization;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to write successful grants;
- Excellent copy editing skills;
- Experience working in social media management platforms such as Hootsuite, Facebook Page Manager and Creator Studio;
- Ability to maneuver basic design programs, such as Canva, to design flyers, marketing images, and printed programs;
- Desire to uphold the organization's commitment to equality, diversity, and inclusion in all fundraising and communications activities.
- This is a ¾ time (~30-32 hrs/wk) year-round position (ideally starting no later than June 15, 2021) with a flexible schedule and a seasonal cycle that requires staff to be present throughout most of the summer and on call during the height of festival season (July 1 - August 15) each year.
- Minnesota Fringe staff work ~11 total months per year on salary with a mandatory vacation after the festival season ends (late August), an annual office shutdown in December, plus an additional 5 paid holidays per year.
- Salary for this position is $30,000 - $33,000 DOQ.
- Medical / dental benefits (BlueCross/BlueShield) are provided.
- Employer matched (up to 3%) retirement plan (Fidelity) is provided.
To apply for this position, submit your resume and a cover letter Attn: Dawn Bentley, Executive Director by May 15 to [email protected] or by mail to Minnesota Fringe, 79 - 13th Ave NE, Ste #112, Minneapolis, MN 55413.