Ashland Productions is seeking a creative and motivated individual for a hybrid Development and Production Associate position. Ashland is entering an exciting growth period, with our current season featuring the most mainstage and youth productions in the company’s history. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Development and Production Associate plays a critical role in the creation and dissemination of fundraising materials, as well as the creation of stewardship events for donors and prospective donors. This individual will also be responsible for acting as Ashland's Production Manager, ensuring that the technical aspects of Ashland's productions and programs are top-notch and delivered on time and on budget. T he individual in this role is expected to manage multiple projects simultaneously in a deadline-driven environment. Flexibility, creativity, and a passion for musical theater and youth are key for success in this role.
This position is ideally fulltime, roughly splitting time between the two principal roles of this position. Parttime employment focusing on just one aspect of the position will be considered for candidates who prefer a PTO role.
Ashland Productions Mission & Values
Ashland is a youth-centered, multigenerational theater company that fosters self-esteem and a sense of belonging. Through a culture of welcoming acceptance, Ashland’s unique process creates exceptional performances enjoyed by the many communities we serve.
We are Kind, Inclusive, Welcoming, Role Models and Family, and We Believe in Striving for Excellence.
Development Responsibilities and Duties:
- Work with Executive Director to develop an annual development plan and calendar.
- Serve as primary manager of all institutional and show-specific development collateral, including working with Ashland’s graphic designer and printshop to design and send any mass mailings.
- Serve as primary manager of PatronManager donor management software, inputting gifts and extracting usable data. Manage gift processing and develop, prepare and donor acknowledgements in a timely manner.
- Assist in planning and managing cultivation and fundraising events.
- Administer fulfillment of donor benefits and pull accurate donor listings.
- Maintain the development calendar for annual fund campaigns as well as institutional gifts.
- Liaise with grant writer and assist with grant applications and reporting.
Production Management Responsibilities and Duties:
- Create and maintain a robust production schedule for the season and for each show/program within the season.
- Maintain contact information for artistic personnel.
- Schedule, organize and lead production meetings for each show/program.
- Work closely with directors and other artistic staff to make decisions regarding set, costume, lighting and other aspects of a production and ensure these are within the budget of the production.
- Monitor accurate expenses for productions.
- Keep stage and backstage areas organized and assist the technical director in executing a safe and efficient strike.
- Ensure decisions made regarding technical aspects of any production are carried out safely.
- Generally hold Ashland’s artistic staff to high standards and drive Ashland towards ever-higher production values.
Other administrative duties may be assigned to assist this position in having enough hours to maintain fulltime employment.
- High School Diploma, GED or the equivalent amount of training and hands-on experience sufficient to perform the essential functions of the position.
- 1-3 years of experience in an administrative or project coordinator role.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously in a deadline-driven environment.
- Demonstrated interest in performing arts.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to effectively present ideas and deliverables.
- Ability to collaborate with others to identify and solve issues or make proactive recommendations and lead through influence.
- Intermediate knowledge of MS Office suite, especially Excel, and Google apps.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a related field.
- Demonstrated passion for musical theater and youth.
- 2+ years in development, fundraising, production management or similar fields, particularly in the arts.
- Working knowledge of PatronManager or other CRM/ticketing systems.
- Experience using email platforms (MailChimp, Wordfly, etc.).
Description of Physical Demands, Work Environment and Benefits
- Ashland’s typical workdays and hours are Monday – Friday, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, though the Production Management aspect of this position will have occasional evening or weekend hours.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use their hands and sit for periods of time using office equipment and a computer.
- The position may require moderate lifting of supplies from time to time.
- The employee is invited to enjoy a hybrid schedule with typically 1-2 days in Ashland’s office in Maplewood, Minnesota (occasional weeks might require more visits to the theater)
- Ashland offers a generous "take-whatever-you-need" vacation policy, a $3,000 health stipend and a Simple IRA retirement match.
- Salary: $34,000
Please send your cover letter and resume to [email protected] with the subject heading of “Development & Production Associate.”
The deadline to apply is October 5, 2022.
Ashland Productions is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law. We value diversity, inclusiveness, and equity and welcome candidates from all walks of life. Read more about Ashland’s commitment to inclusion and equity on our website.