Minnesota Fringe connects adventurous artists with adventurous audiences by creating open, supportive forums for free, diverse expression. Through festivals and dynamic year-round programs, Fringe is an artistic disruptor for local and touring artists to take bold risks, develop new ideas, and hoist themselves to the next rung of their artistic ladder. Our flagship Festival has distributed $2.5 million+ to artists over the last decade.
Minnesota Fringe seeks ~16 creative, dynamic self-starters to join our team as House Managers for the 2023 Minnesota Fringe Festival, which runs August 3-13.
- Provide excellent and friendly customer service
- Create a schedule to ensure all shifts are covered at your venue
- Supervise and delegate tasks as appropriate to venue volunteers
- Manage lines and direct large crowds of people
- Interact with patrons, including answering questions or fielding concerns
- Work with technical staff to ensure shows start on time and run smoothly
- Liaise with artists and venue staff; troubleshoot issues as they arise
- Step in to assist volunteers with box office, handle monetary transactions
- Fill out daily reports and communicate issues with office staff
- Attend mandatory training sessions before the festival
Successful candidates will have a variety of the following skills:
We are open to the following having been acquired in different industries or in a
different context other than the performing arts.
- Enthusiasm for the mission of Minnesota Fringe and the communities we serve
- Front of House/customer service experience (previous Fringe volunteer a plus)
- The agility to meet ever-changing demands in a fast-paced organization
- Excellent written, communication, and organizational skills
- Superb interpersonal skills under pressure in the field
- An ability to work on projects independently
- Strong leadership and collaborative skills
- Ease with counting, handling money, & dealing with tablets/technology & Google ecosystem
- The ability to work long hours and late nights once the Festival begins
- Reliable transportation (access to a car/bike/set of wheels is crucial during the Festival)
- Knowledge and/or interest in the performing arts or event management a plus
- Willingness to learn new skills
- Between time of hire and training sessions, there will be a small amount of email communication, info sharing, and scheduling.
- All House Managers must attend both training sessions.
- Sessions are scheduled for July 31st and August 1st from 6:30-9pm
- House Managers are expected to work approx. 5-9 days of the 11-day Fringe Festival
- Shifts begin approximately 1-2 hours before the first show through 11:30pm
- Shows begin at 5:30pm on weekdays, and 1pm on weekends; the last show of the day begins at 10pm
Compensation - Minnesota Fringe
- $17/hr plus a $50 training stipend paid in one check at the end of the Festival
- An All-Access Pass for the 2023 Festivals to see shows for free when not on duty.
Interested persons should fill out our application form, found at this link.
Questions and requests for accommodations can be addressed to Director of Audience & Volunteer Engagement, Felicia Cooper at [email protected].
This posting will remain open until all positions have been filled.