The Theater department of the College of Saint Benedict (CSB) and Saint John's University (SJU) invites applications for a part time, 2 semester position of Guest Lighting/Sound Designer.
To fulfill the mission of CSB+SJU to provide excellence in the arts, a successful candidate for the position of Guest Lighting/Sound Designer embraces the opportunity to create artistic experiences that foster connections within the community on campus and off. The Guest Lighting/Sound Designer is responsible for the creation of the lighting and sound design for two Fall 2022 productions and three Spring 2023 productions. Providing a model of leadership, a successful candidate believes in mentoring students and creating skill building experiences that will contribute to the overall success of the students’ academic and experiential learning, while building a legacy of appreciation for the arts. This position is relied upon to demonstrate a strong work ethic centered on excellent organizational skills with an ability to develop and maintain positive collaborative relationships and communications with all artistic parties, faculty, students, and staff.
Design production phase September 1, 2022 through May 8, 2023
Note: Working hours vary and include frequent evenings and weekends.
Two semester contract 2/6
The College of Saint Benedict (CSB) is a liberal arts college for women, and Saint John's University (SJU) is a liberal arts college for men and a graduate School of Theology and Nursing for both men and women and is also the home of the Hill Museum & Manuscript Library and the Collegeville Institute for Ecumenical and Cultural Research. The campuses are located in the central lakes area of Minnesota, surrounded by more than 3,000 acres of pristine forests, prairies, and lakes. The campuses are minutes away from St. Cloud, an increasingly diverse regional center with a population of over 100,000, and 70 miles from Minneapolis and St. Paul. Some CSB+SJU faculty and staff choose to reside locally, while others commute from the Twin Cities. Both St. Cloud and the Twin Cities offer a wide range of fine arts, cultural, dining, recreational, and sporting opportunities.
CSB+SJU are Catholic colleges in the Benedictine tradition enlivened by values of community, hospitality, stewardship, and justice. The schools are dedicated to cultivating an equitable, inclusive community founded on respect for all persons. Students, staff and faculty from many diverse belief systems and backgrounds collectively bring a rich dimension to the academic, cultural, and religious experience at CSB+SJU. Learn more in our Institutional Statement on Diversity and in our brochure regarding Higher Education in the Catholic and Benedictine Tradition.
With a total enrollment of approximately 3,200 students, CSB+SJU are unique in all of higher education, distinguished by their commitment to the holistic transformational development of women and men within the context of a unified, coeducational experience. All students, faculty, and staff have the opportunity to experience and engage with the two institutions. For further information, see http://www.csbsju.edu/about.
CSB+/SJU offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits program.
Leadership and collaboration in the Lighting and Sound Design of 2 Fall 2022 and 3 Spring 2023 productions for the CSB/SJU Theater Department.
- Produce lighting and sound designs for the Theater department fall 2022 and spring 2023 productions
- Attend scheduled design meetings either in person or remotely for all productions
- Complete designs for fall productions prior to September 2022 and spring designs by January 2023
- Minimum 3 days on campus during lighting hang/focus and sound work, working with ATD, TD and students (scenic shop hours are 1:00-5:00 Monday-Friday)
- Attend Design Presentations, weekly scenic shop meetings, production meetings, tech watch, dry tech, technical and dress rehearsals. Supervise performances as student back up.
- Work with ATD to purchase items needed for production
- Pull items from light storage for the productions and/or source show specific items/materials to be purchase
- Work with production team to meet all milestones related to the production schedule• Work with students in the scenic shop on the process of creating the productions
- Generate appropriate paperwork for each production
OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Performing other duties as required by supervisor.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts or 5 years professional lighting and sound design experience • Supervisory or related experience leading a team
- Excellent organizational skills with ability to manage multiple priorities within production timelines
- Effective interpersonal relations skills and ability to work collaboratively with faculty, staff and
- Ability to work long hours in sporadic intervals when required to meet production schedules
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to obtain, understand, and consider other priorities, opinions, and concerns, both to secure maximum input for analysis and solutions of problems and to assure reciprocal cooperation in working with a diverse constituency and staff.
- Strong organizational and time management skills to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, technical drawings.
- Computer proficiency including working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel
- Experience in ETC EOS and QLab is preferred.
- Must be able to withstand long hours
- Must be able to lift 25lbs.
- Physical limitations cannot totally hinder the ability to perform tasks
Applications are accepted online by clicking on "Apply". Candidates are asked to complete the application form and submit a letter of application and resume.
If you require an accommodation to participate in the CSB+SJU hiring process, please contact Human Resources at (320) 363-2508 or email@example.com.
It is the policy of CSB+SJU to conduct a pre-employment background check. An offer of employment is contingent upon a successful background check. The College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University also utilize E-Verify as part of its onboarding process to confirm work authorization.
The College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University are Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employers.