The Guthrie Theater seeks Overhire Stage Hands to support our shows. Overhire Stage Hands provide technical support for shows mounted by or for the Guthrie Theater and facilitate the smooth running of shows by maintaining the backstage and onstage areas, sets and equipment.
Reports to: Stage Operations Supervisor
Compensation: $22.65 per hour
The Guthrie Theater engages exceptional theater artists in the exploration of both classic and contemporary plays connecting the community we serve to one another and to the world. Through its extraordinary artists, staff and facility, the Guthrie is committed to the people of Minnesota, and from its place, rooted deeply in the Twin Cities, influences the field as a leading 21st century arts organization.
Every year more than 500 people, both on stage and off, help ensure our success in creating and supporting the highest level of theater. As an organization, we are committed to our values of Artistic Excellence, Community, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, and Fiscal Responsibility.
The Guthrie Theater would like to acknowledge that we gather on the traditional land of the Dakota People and honor with gratitude the land itself and the people who have stewarded it throughout the generations, including the Ojibwe and other Indigenous nations.
The Guthrie employs overhire staff on an as-needed basis which varies throughout the year based on the needs of each production. All overhire positions may range in both required experiences and length of commitment. These positions are covered by a collective bargaining agreement with IATSE Local 13 and are paid on an hourly basis. All overhire employees are expected to center, model and champion the Guthrie’s core values of Artistic Excellence; Community; Equity, Diversity and Inclusion; and Fiscal Responsibility.
Overhire Stage Hands provide technical support for shows mounted by or for the Guthrie Theater and facilitate the smooth running of shows by maintaining the backstage and onstage areas, sets and equipment. This position may assist with load-ins, technical rehearsals, previews and performances. The pay rate for this non-exempt Union position is $22.65 per hour.
The Guthrie is dedicated to building an equitable environment that is mixed across lines of difference and strongly encourages applications from Black, Indigenous, People of Color, women, transgender and non-binary candidates. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Previous experience in theater as a Stage Hand or experience within the theater industry.
- Demonstrates a consistent and reliable level of skill, ability and personal responsibility.
- Maintains cooperative work within the department and with related departments.
- Demonstrates creative problem solving skills.
- Willingness to form teams with artists and co-workers with a variety of working styles.
- Physical ability to lift 50lbs.
- Basic knowledge of rigging is desired but not required.
- Basic knowledge of fly system operation is helpful but not required.
- Comfortable maneuvering in low light or darkness.
- Comfortable working at heights if necessary (helpful but not required).
- Flexibility to be scheduled based on the needs of each production.
- Experience, ability, and commitment to working with individuals and teams that are mixed across lines of difference such as race, gender-identity, sexual orientation, religion, ability, age, class and immigrant status.
A NOTE FROM HUMAN RESOURCES
For the safety of our guests and staff, the Guthrie Theater requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Documentation of vaccination status must be provided if an offer of employment is made.
Applicants must submit a resume to be considered for the position.