The Guthrie Theater seeks a full-time Production Manager. The Production Manager, in close coordination with the Director of Production, is primarily responsible for the production management of the Guthrie’s mainstage season and Dowling Studio programming.
Reports to: Director of Production
Responsible for coordinating the work across multiple production areas, providing clear and effective communication to visiting designers and artists, the Production Manager ensures Guthrie productions open to our audiences on time and within budget. All employees are expected to center, model and champion the Guthrie’s core values of Artistic Excellence, Community, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, and Fiscal Responsibility.
This position is full-time, exempt and benefits-eligible. Compensation for this position is $67,500 - $85,500 annually plus benefits. The typical schedule for this role will vary based on the dynamic schedule of a theater. This person will work remotely until our building reopens at which time full-time in-person work is required.
The Guthrie is dedicated to building an equitable environment that is mixed across lines of difference and strongly encourages applications from Black, Indigenous, People of Color, women, transgender and non-binary candidates. This position will remain open until filled and until a diverse and qualified pool of candidates is identified. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Production Management
- In collaboration with the Director of Production, oversee the execution of all production requirements in support of the work across the Guthrie’s stages and throughout the organization.
- Create and maintain production schedules.
- Ensure design guideline documents for creative teams are up to date.
- Assist the Director of Production in creating and maintaining annual production budgets.
- Track all production and show related expenditures and generate expense reports.
- Schedule and lead regular production meetings with Guthrie staff and creative teams.
- Maintain production calendars within the department and share pertinent information across the organization.
- Ensure that the resources and support available to production departments are sufficient to achieve the artistic vision and excellence of the theater.
- Cultivate and promote a safe working environment and ensure that the Guthrie’s production department operates in accordance with current health and safety regulations and best theater practice.
- Ensure that the Guthrie is in compliance with local and national collective bargaining agreements (IATSE, AFM, USA, SDC and AEA).
2. Creative Team Support and Engagement
- Provide clear communication to all members of the creative team ensuring proper understanding of the Guthrie resources available to them.
- Distribute design guidelines, relevant Guthrie policies and show calendars to all creative teams.
- Ensure all shared design documentation is updated in shared folders, both internally and externally.
- In collaboration with the Assistant Production Manager, organize on site design meetings and designer visits.
- Lead the creative team and relevant Guthrie staff through the entire production process.
- Lead design meetings, production meetings and post preview note sessions.
3. Leadership and Supervision
- Lead, manage and supervise the Guthrie’s Production Stage Manager and Events Production Manager.
- Use the organizational check-in form to complete monthly check-ins with all direct reports.
- Attend and/or run department meetings to communicate pertinent information and communicate shared organizational commitments.
- Coach and develop staff members by monitoring the quality of employees' work and providing constructive feedback; facilitating conflict resolution among employees; ensuring adherence to legal and organizational policies and procedures and undertaking disciplinary actions if the need arises; and completing annual performance evaluations.
- Actively participate in fostering a work environment centering the Guthrie’s core values of Artistic Excellence, Community, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, and Fiscal Responsibility.
- Maintain and approve direct report timesheets and expense reports, PTO requests, and other personnel records.
- Attend regular production department head meetings.
- Attend departmental and interdepartmental meetings when required.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Prior experience serving in a management role of a theater production department. Formal, informal and cross-disciplinary experiences will be considered.
- Experience, ability, and commitment to working with individuals and teams that are mixed across lines of difference such as race, gender-identity, sexual orientation, religion, ability, age, class and immigrant status.
- Ability to read and assimilate information from technical design drawings.
- Demonstrated computer skills including G-Suite, Dropbox, Microsoft Office.
- Budget management experience preferred. Aptitude in crafting and overseeing budgets required.
- Proven experience in handling production and design processes on large scale productions.
- Working knowledge of IATSE, AFM, USA, SDC, AEA and LORT collective bargaining agreements.
- Demonstrated creative judgment, excellent problem-solving skills and detail-oriented.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Strong ability to lead a team, delegate and communicate effectively across multiple departments with dynamic people.
- Working knowledge of and willingness to promote current health and safety practices in the theater industry.
- Must be able to work under the stress of deadlines and adapt to changing priorities as well as attend to numerous projects concurrently.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability and willingness to exercise professional courtesy and discretion at all times and maintain confidentiality as required.
- Must be willing and able to work flexible hours/days reflective of the dynamic schedule of a theater which includes a variety of hours including evenings and weekends.
A NOTE FROM HUMAN RESOURCES
Applicants must submit the following to be considered for the position:
- Cover Letter