Position: 2020 Season Director
Position Start: March 2020
Position End: January 2021
Compensation: $6000 (or $3000/person if directing as a team) stipend
Time Commitment: Various and flexible; most time requirement in Sept-Oct, and Dec.
About the Haunted Basement
Since its inception in 2006, the Haunted Basement has garnered a nationally-renowned reputation for its immersive spin on the traditional haunted attraction; blending artist-driven environments and psychological horrors with immersive theatre to vault beyond the usual tropes of vampires and chainsaws. Now entering its fourteenth season, the non-profit performance company is expanding its mission of experimental and experiential theatre through the lens of terror. Learn more about the company at HauntedBasement.org.
About the Position
The Haunted Basement is seeking a creative and innovative director (or directing team) for the 2020 edition of its signature immersive horror performance art spectacle. Now entering it's fourteenth season, the company is seeking a visionary director with an all-encompassing eye towards creating a unified whole from a lot of moving parts; from assembling the cast to working with the designers and technicians to create an artistically amazing season of events.
- Developing and implementing the overall concept for this year’s productions, the Halloween event and the holiday haunt (The Workshop).
- Working with the Administration Team to cast the production appropriately, as well as rehearsing and developing characters for the production with the actors and coaching as appropriate; from rehearsal through the run of the performances.
- Working with the Administration Team to hire the Basement environment design team and leading them in building a unified design that is on time and on budget. (While the Haunted Basement does have an in-house build team, it is also open to any outside hires.)
- Work out a schedule with the co-director or assistant director to have a director at every performance, giving feedback to performers.
- Provides creative support, oversight, and continued coaching during the run of the Production; including alerting the Administration Team on any disciplinary actions needed to take on any performers / technicians during the run of the Performance.
- Participates in production meetings and design meetings as needed.
- Contributes to production post mortems and volunteer appreciation efforts in November and January
- Supports PR and Marketing efforts in relation to the production and the Haunted Basement in general, and be open to giving various interviews to outlets around the Cities as needed.
- Most importantly, maintains and fosters a community of acceptance and safety of everyone, regardless of age, race, gender, sexual preference, religion, immigration status, at all times and in all situations.
- Demonstrated capacity to articulate a strong artistic aesthetic and overall vision that inspires others and supports the mission of the Haunted Basement.
- Background in horror, improv acting, performance art, large project collaboration, immersive performance, and/or leadership.
- Demonstrated leadership working collaboratively and respectfully with staff and board to achieve a positive, transparent workplace and progress toward meeting strategic objectives.
- A facility to express artistic intention in written and public forums.
- Demonstrated experience creating and working within budgets and organizational systems
- Ability and desire to engage productively with Haunted Basement’s community and the Twin Cities cultural community as a whole
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills that demonstrate an ability to inspire and motivate others to action.
- Ability to establish a meaningful working partnership with the Operations Director and Production Manager, as well as the rest of the Haunted Basement staff.
- A clear commitment to and experience in increasing equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- An approach to leadership that relies on transparency, enthusiasm, teamwork and clear communication.
- A desire to Get Weird!
Interested applicants are asked to submit a résumé, how you heard about this position, cover letter, potential vision for the project, and references in PDF format to [email protected] by February 13, 2020 at 11:59pm. Any questions may also be directed there.
The Haunted Basement is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool. Priority will be given to people of color, immigrants, women, members of the LGBTQIA community, differently-abled bodies.