History Theatre is seeking a Producing and Directing Associate to:
- Work in collaboration with the Artistic Director (AD), Artistic Associate (AA) and staff on season planning.
- Produce the annual Raw Stages reading series.
- Coordinate Next Stage Workshops/provide feedback for playwrights.
- Collaborate with AD and AA to research and select 2-3 new plays for commissioning each year.
- Work with Education Manager to develop new, and direct existing, plays for young audiences as needed.
- Work to advance the artistic mission of the theater with raised consciousness towards equity, diversity, and inclusion efforts.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Main Stage Season (60%)
- Assist the AD in curating the mainstage season and creating production budgets.
- Work with the AD and/or Production Manager in expanding the Theatre’s network of actors, directors, and designers; assist in casting and hiring.
- Attend rehearsals and provide feedback to AD & creative team.
- Coordinate on-site and off-site community engagement activity and events that may include excerpts of History Theatre plays and musicals.
- With Artistic Associate, provide daily administrative support to the Artistic Department.
- Other admin duties as assigned
Producing RAW Stages Festival and Next Stage Workshops (40%)
- Work with AD to select shows to be included in RAW Stages; establish yearly objectives for new commissions.
- Work with the AD/PM to establish budgets and rehearsal/production schedules
- Work with AD to develop internships, student directors, dramaturges, and musical directors & choreographers.
- Assist development team in securing grant funding for new work.
- Coordinate “debriefs” w/ each creative team following each show.
- Facilitate post show public discussions w/ AD & AA and share pre-show audience welcome duties with other staff
- Other administrative duties as assigned
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
History Theatre is committed to considering applicants who are well-rounded and have demonstrated willingness to learn but do not fulfill every qualification.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Directorial skills – 3 – 5 years’ experience with AEA productions and new work - both plays and musicals.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- Working knowledge of US and Minnesota history.
- Ability to work independently, manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Strong organizational and administrative skills
- Experience with preparing budgets and contracts
- Enthusiasm and commitment for the mission and goals of History Theatre
- Ability to work with a variety of people including staff, volunteers, and board of directors in a team environment.
- Experience in directing work for young audiences preferred
History Theatre is committed to creating a culturally diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status.
This position is for 32 hours per week; some weekend and evening availability required. Salary range of $38k -43k annually; employee health and dental insurance available; sick time and vacation benefits.
To apply, please send a resume, 2 references, and a letter of interest via email by August 24 to:
Ron Peluso, Artistic Director, History Theatre [email protected]
30 E 10th St. St Paul, MN 55101