Minnesota Opera is now accepting audition applications for local singers, residing in and around the Twin Cities and state of Minnesota, for consideration of supporting and cover opportunities in the 2023-2024 season; and mainstage leading, supporting, and featured roles in future seasons. NOTE: To submit an application, you will need to be logged into a Google account, as outlined below.
Why are these local-only auditions?
A great many talented and highly-trained artists call Minnesota and/or the Twin Cities their home, ranging from folks recently relocated to folks who have lived and worked here for years. Many of them have rich working histories with Minnesota Opera’s storytelling mission, others have waited for a chance to write their own history with Minnesota Opera.
There are many new faces at Minnesota Opera as well – we are excited for this opportunity to both forge new connections and strengthen existing connections among our Minnesota Opera artistic community!
When are the auditions?
• Wednesday, March 15, 2023: 7:00pm – 10:00pm
• Friday, March 17, 2023: 7:00pm – 10:00pm
Where will the auditions be held?
The Luminary Arts Center
700 North 1st Street,
Minneapolis, MN 55401
What should I be prepared to sing?
Please bring at least four (4) pieces in total according to the following guidelines:
• One (1) aria in Italian
• Two (2) arias in another language (French, German, or Spanish preferred)
• One (1) aria, art song, Broadway, or jazz selection in English
• Optional: One (1) song in your first spoken language if other than English
What should I wear to this audition?
The dress code for this audition is “smart casual” – or, whatever you feel best expresses who you are!
Will I need to pay a fee for this audition?
No. A pianist will be provided at no cost to you. There will not be time to rehearse with your provided pianist prior to your audition, but if you would like to send your repertoire selections to us beforehand, please feel free to email our Artistic Administrator Sal Vasta at [email protected]. You may also bring a pianist at your own expense.
Are Minnesota Opera roles paid?
Yes, all roles are paid. Fees are negotiated with each artist based upon the role(s) offered.
Where do I sign up?
• Click here to submit your application! You will need to be logged into a Google account to submit an application form. Once you have submitted the form, you will receive an automatically generated email. Follow the link in that email to select an audition date and time.
I can’t make any of those dates/times. Can I submit a video audition?
Yes. While we prefer to meet and hear you in person for a better all-around audition experience, we will accept video auditions if you cannot make any of the audition dates/times work. If you wish to submit a video audition, please email Sal Vasta at [email protected] with the following information:
• Phone #
• Voice Type
• Attached or linked proof of COVID-19 vaccination & boosters
• Attached or linked video of your audition
• Resume (optional)
What other information should I know if I’d like to schedule an audition?
• You will need to be logged into a Google account to submit an application form. Once you have submitted the form, you will receive an automatically generated email. Follow the link in that email to sign up for an audition time.
• Minnesota Opera requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination, including applicable boosters, in order to schedule a live audition.
• If you have any other questions, please email Sal Vasta at [email protected].