OPEN CALL: Auditions for PRANCER
By Greg Taylor
Directed by Laura Tahja Johnson
Performance & Rehearsal Information
Nov 16–Dec 23, 2018 (23 performances)
First read-through tentatively scheduled for scheduled for Wednesday, Sep 22
Full performance schedule and show description can be found here.
Potential rehearsal schedule can be downloaded here.
Note on Diversity and Inclusive Casting
Actors of all races and ethnicities are strongly encouraged to audition. Lyric Arts is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion in the casting of its productions and, therefore, urges actors of diverse backgrounds and those from underrepresented groups to audition.
Open Call Auditions
Tuesday July 17
6:00 to 9:00 pm
Wednesday, July 18
6:00 to 9:00 pm
Doors open for registration 15 minutes prior to audition start time.
Final registration accepted 30 minutes before the end of auditions.
Tuesday, July 31
Prancer is a contemporary Christmas play that is sweet, nostalgic, and completely without irony. We will be looking for performances from actors that are heart-felt, authentic, and relatable.
Adults: Please prepare a one-minute contemporary monologue.
Young People: You have two options for auditions:
- Prepare a one-minute contemporary monologue.
- Prepare a cutting from the script, which you can download here.
Please note: Projection, diction, authentic emotions and a natural acting style will be key elements of your audition.
You can download or fill out our standard audition form here.
Note: Some roles may be doubled. Ages listed are the ages of the character to be portrayed.
JESSICA RIGGS: 10–12, high-spirited, energy to burn, a true believer, a bit of a tomboy
JOHN RIGGS: late 30s–early 40s, Jessica’s father, Midwestern farmer
STEVE RIGGS: 12–14, Jessica’s brother
AUNT SARAH: mid-30s–mid-40s, John’s sister; Jessica’s aunt
CAROL WEATHERBY: 10–12, Jessica's best friend
DR. BENTON: late 30s–50s, the town's veterinarian, no nonsense, male or female
TOM STEWART: The Santa at the mall
MRS. MCFARLAND: 50s–60s, a recluse, the richest woman in town
PASTOR WILLIAMS: late 30s–40s, minister of Jessica's church, male or female
DORA BENEDETTI: 30s, a Three Oaks policewoman
HERB DRIER: 40s, a butcher; owner of the town's Christmas tree lot
MISS FAIRBURN or MR. FAIRBURN: late 20s–50s, a teacher at Jessica's school
JESSICA’S CLASSMATES: 10–12, looking for 4 to 5 young people, a mix of genders
OTHER CHILD or CHILDREN: 7–10, looking for 1 or 2 younger children, any gender.
- Stipend paid. (only to actors 18 and older)
- All auditions are held at Lyric Arts Main Street Stage, 420 E Main St, Anoka 55303.
- Auditioners will be seen in the order they arrive. No appointments are necessary.
- Please come prepared with headshot (or other non-returnable current photo) and résumé, if available.
- Please arrive with a calendar outlining all possible conflict dates between the first read-through and the final performance. (No conflicts for tech week or performance dates will be accepted.)
- Age ranges listed in character descriptions signify the age of the character to be played.
All other questions about auditions—including those regarding audition conflicts—should be sent to our auditions e-mail.