Yellow Tree Theatre is a nationally recognized, award-winning professional theatre company located in Osseo, a Northwest suburb of Minneapolis. YTT was founded in 2008 by Jason Peterson and Jessica Lind Peterson and is now in its thirteenth season. YTT has produced fifty-five productions, including twelve world premieres and has served over 70,000 patrons. YTT was awarded a National Theater Company Grant from the American Theater Wing, an Arts Achievement Award from the Metropolitan Regional Arts Council, and is supported by the NEA, McKnight Foundation and MN State Arts Board, among others. YTT is committed to serving as an artistic home for Twin Cities artists; being a welcoming artistic venue in a thriving and vibrant community; and bringing diverse, thought-provoking and dynamic theater to its northwest suburban community.
The mission of Yellow Tree Theatre is to bring stories to life that ignite passion, inspire laughter and awaken possibility while exploring and celebrating the great complexities of the human spirit. We strive to be a welcoming artistic venue where people of all ages and walks of life can gather to experience authentic community, and to produce high-quality professional productions in the heart of the Northwest suburbs of Minneapolis making live theatre more accessible to the community.
The Producing Artistic Director serves as the artistic and administrative head of the organization, and reports to the Board of Trustees. This leadership role requires the Producing Artistic Director to demonstrate thoughtfulness, creativity, and passion and to engage in advancing the values of equity and inclusion. They are responsible for establishing, pursuing, representing and realizing the artistic and operational goals and mission of YTT; serving as the theatre’s primary ambassador to artists and the broader community; and promoting the vision of the theatre to all current and prospective constituents.
Artistic Vision and Leadership
- Create an exciting, forward-thinking artistic vision inspired by YTT’s legacy of bringing a diverse array of classic and contemporary plays and musicals, as well as new work, to its stage. Select seasons and supportive programming in partnership with Executive Director.
- Strategize around the seasons and programming to determine how plays speak to each other with clearly defined and articulate connections between plays and YTT’s mission.
- Direct at least one production in each of YTT’s seasons.
- Lead the artistic and production teams, setting and maintaining high artistic and production standards and ensuring a positive and safe workspace and creative environment for all artists and technicians.
- Hire and supervise artists and technical directors who will direct, design and build each season’s production.
- Schedule and attend all auditions, selecting actors in cooperation with individual show directors.
- Attend all opening night and closing functions, meeting with donors and patrons prior to and following all performances.
- Oversee the execution of educational programming that supports YTT’s mission.
- Maintain regular contact with major YTT stakeholders and donors to create an atmosphere of inclusion and belonging in the YTT family.
- Attend and participate in the annual Gala and Season Soiree, guiding the events and giving prepared remarks in support of YTT’s mission.
- In partnership with the Executive Director, seek funding opportunities for non-profit organizations, theaters, and theater programming. Assist in writing of grants.
- In partnership with the Executive Director, assist in overseeing the branding, public messaging, and advertising placed in press releases, playbills and on social media.
- Make public and press appearances to support and advance YTT’s work.
- Foster positive interactions and partnerships with other arts organizations by participating in joint activities and panels along with attending performances.
- Formulate and implement evaluation strategies for artistic and educational programming, show sales, and show attendance.
- In partnership with the Executive Director, participate in the management of building maintenance and upkeep.
- In partnership with Executive Director and Board of Trustees, develop the annual operating budget.
- Design and monitor production budgets, always supporting YTT’s commitment to paying artists an equitable wage, operating deficit-free, and sustaining a significant cash reserve.
- Create and support a culture that attracts and maintains the highest caliber of staff, artistic talent and board members while promoting excellence and integrity and supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Promote the creative and professional development of employees as valuable assets to YTT, recruiting and retaining the highest quality staff and artistic talent.
- Negotiate artistic and production contracts including royalties and artist salaries.
- In partnership with the Executive Director, negotiate agreements with Actor’s Equity.
- Develop a deep and positive working relationship with the Board of Trustees, reporting regularly on YTT’s artistic activity.
- In partnership with the Board of Trustees and Executive Director, set a strategic plan and operational goals. Collaborate with the Executive Director and others in implementing the strategic plan and operational goals.
- Previous experience as a professional working artist in the theatrical community
- Previous artistic leadership experience in a producing theatrical organization
- Knowledge of the technical aspects of theater
- Knowledge of non-profit administration
- Knowledge of or willingness to develop familiarity with the local community as well as the wider national community
- Previous experience in working with Actors Equity and negotiating contracts
- Previous experience in seeking and securing grants and other funding opportunities
- Experience in Microsoft office products/software, Google Docs, CRM, Photoshop, and QuickBooks
- Knowledge of OSHA safety requirements and practices
- Willingness to provide sweat equity to ensure smooth operation of YTT
Compensation and Benefits
The Producing Artistic Director will receive an annual salary along with additional compensation for directing, designing, acting, and/or other artistic projects. The salary range for this position is $50,000 to $54,000. The Producing Artistic Director is also eligible for paid time off, flexible time off, paid holidays, and a Health Reimbursement Arrangement that includes an employer contribution.
Please submit a cover letter and current resume to [email protected]
Yellow Tree Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. The theatre will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, disability, age, or sexual orientation, or in regard to recruitment, hiring, training, compensation, and terminations.