The Phipps Center for the Arts in Hudson, WI is seeking a Production Stage Manager. The Production Stage Manager supports and guides all theater, music and special event productions and presentations across all councils, as well as aspects of performing arts education programs, and serves as the primary contact and support for external rentals. The Production Stage Manager will utilize the Phipps’ producing procedures, facilitating communication, scheduling, and preparation, and working with volunteers to create a positive and productive environment for all participants. With help from an assistant stage manager, the Production Stage Manager will be responsible for stage managing the larger productions, such as musicals. The Production Stage Manager will also mentor/supervise contracted or volunteer stage managers and be able to fill in when the contracted or volunteer stage manager is unavailable. The Production Stage Manager reports to the Production Director.
Full-Time – Salaried, non-exempt; hours over 40 per week will be paid time and a half. This position is primarily late afternoons, weeknights, and weekends. Some of the work can be done hybrid, but at least 20 on-site hours per week will be expected.
$41,000. Medical, dental, vision, and disability insurance, retirement (SEP) and optional 403b.
- Attend staff and all production meetings.
- Schedule and facilitate production meetings in coordination with Phipps Production Director.
- Schedule meetings, auditions, rehearsals, and performances on Phipps master calendar.
- Assist in scheduling and managing auditions and callbacks in coordination with the Arts Council and production staff.
- Ensure all needed production materials (scripts, supplies, rehearsal set up, etc.), forms and documents are provided and maintained to all production staff, cast, and crew.
- Reserve and prepare rehearsal and performance spaces.
- Create and maintain contact list for productions: staff, director, designers, stage manager, cast, and volunteer crews.
- Train backstage volunteers.
- Coordinate production program, including staff bios, cast bios, production staff, crew, acknowledgments, etc.
- Maintain production volunteer database in coordination with administrative staff.
- Facilitate external rentals, as approved by the production department and program committee, by requesting performance spaces, responding to inquiries, creating rental fee proposals, and managing the project in total.
Education, Training and Experience
- Any combination of 3 years college or work experience in theater or performing arts.
- Working knowledge of equipment commonly found in theater facility, e.g., scene shop, rigging, lighting, sound, house, and stage areas, etc.
- Working knowledge of technical theater practices.
- Ability to communicate on various organizational levels with strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of effective supervisory practices and techniques.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects or change priorities quickly.
- Ability to communicate with casts, volunteers, directors, designers, council coordinators, and administrative staff.
- Ability to effectively communicate in oral and written form.
- Ability to cooperatively identify and resolve problems.
- Knowledge and proficiency in MS Word and MS Excel.
- We are seeking a detail-oriented individual who can effectively manage multiple projects at a time while maintaining a safe and positive environment for all involved.
- Ability to bend, stoop, crawl, and climb. Ability to lift and place sets and props that may weigh up to 50 pounds.
- Sewing skills not required but preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Phipps Center for the Arts is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, parental status, military status, or any other statutorily protected reason.
How to Apply
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] by January 31, 2023.