Viterbo University is accepting applications for a Scene/Prop Shop Supervisor. This is 12 month, year round, full time, and salaried position.
The Scene/Prop Shop Supervisor is responsible for the oversight and coordination of Viterbo University's scene and prop shop; communicating with Directors, Designers, Students, and Production Staff to ensure proper scenic elements and props for the School of Performing Arts' production season.
Reports to: Dean, College of Business, Performing Arts, and Leadership
- Work with the Technical Director (TD) on the construction of all scenic elements for the Theatre and Music Theatres production season
- Assist in mentoring all student workers and help create a positive learning environment for any students working in the scenic studio
- Work with Scenic Designer, Director and Stage Management to create and update the prop list for each show
- Acquire necessary prop elements for production through borrowing, building, or buying
- Communicate with other production departments when prop elements may be crossover pieces to ensure efforts are not being duplicated
- Oversee the rental and borrowing of props to outside people and organizations
- Responsible for safety throughout the process of propping each show (such use of guns, weapons and etc.)- making sure that the prop master is familiar with rules of handling weaponry
- Supervise students in production duties during load in, strikes, build, technical rehearsals and other projects as assigned
- Participate and help coordinate "Full Company" projects, work calls, meetings and events
- Oversee the inventory, purchasing, and preparation of supplies and materials for the prop shop
- Research, design all prop for each show as needed
- This position requires the scene shop-prop supervisor to be aligned with Viterbo University's mission, values and vision;
- Minimum of a B.F.A. in Theatre with a minimum of five (5) years of construction/management experience, prefer an M.F.A. in tech/design;
- Must be collaborative and professional with others;
- Have proven successful student supervision and/or teaching experience; a clear understanding of the Viterbo University School of Performing Arts' values and of the learning community to be served; and the demonstrated ability to assume major leadership responsibilities.
About Viterbo University: Viterbo University is a Catholic, Franciscan, liberal arts institution located in scenic La Crosse, Wisconsin, which has been rated as one of the top places to live in the US. The region features an attractive cost of living, beautiful bluffs and coulees, three major rivers including the Mississippi River, world-class health care and education systems, and easy access to major cities in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Illinois.
To apply, please complete online employment application form, upload cover letter and resume to be considered.
Contact Information: Tom Knothe, Dean for the College of Business, Performing Arts, and Leadership, Viterbo University, 900 Viterbo Drive, La Crosse, WI 54601.
Viterbo University is an equal opportunity employer and encourages nominations and candidacy of historically underrepresented groups.