Position Title: Technical Assistant (full-time)
Reports To: Technical Director
Technical Assistant will assist with creation of scenery, stage elements and props for live theatre productions utilizing various materials. This position will also include assistance with construction of scenic painting, rigging, scene shop maintenance, and working with and instructing volunteers. The Technical Assistant may also assist with building/facility maintenance and performances.
• To construct scenic elements as determined by the Scene Shop Foreman.
• To use and maintain proper safety practices
• To maintain a clean and safe working environment
• Bring safety concerns to the attention of the Scene Shop Foreman or Technical Director
• Attend meetings as necessary
• Assist in maintaining tools and scene shop
• Assist in maintaining onstage and back stage areas
• To ensure the health and safety of the Company and to alert the senior management of any issues as they arise
• Bachelor’s Degree in technical theatre
• Previous experience in a scene shop
• Ability to build from scaled drawings
• Safe and proper use of scene shop tools, saws, drills, etc.
• Knowledge of current technology including lighting fixtures, lighting systems, rigging systems, sound recording and mixing, microphones, video projection, etc.
• Organizational skills, yet flexibility
• Maintain a calm demeanor during stressful situations
• Work as a member of a team
• Ability to be creative and resourceful in problem solving
• Ability to work on ladders, lifts and in catwalks
• Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds
• Awareness and experience of health and safety legislation and practice