The Laramie Project (grades 6-12)
Students in grades 6-12
What is The Laramie Project?
The Laramie Project is a play by Moisés Kaufman and the Tectonic Theatre Project in response to the 1998 murder of Matthew Shepard, a young gay man, in Laramie, Wyoming. Kaufman and the other company members visited Laramie on six occasions and interviewed residents, members of the police force, and Matthew’s friends, in an attempt to understand what happened, and why. They were also interested in the possibility that theatre, more than any other medium, would allow people to engage with and reflect on the issues brought to public attention by Matthew’s murder, such as homophobia, hatred, intolerance, and fear.
How is this The Laramie Project different from other shows at Northern Starz?
Students who decide to sign up for The Laramie Project will each:
- Be cast in The Laramie Project. (Education from May-August, auditions will be held in August for only those that took part in the educational series).
- Participate in eight days of LGBTQ+ Educational Series classes between May 19th - July 28th (descriptions listed below)
- Perform The Laramie Project at three different venues:
- Northern Starz Center for the Performing Arts
- Elison Playhouse
- White Bear Center for the Arts
- Make friends, build their sense of self, and have fun performing!
Note: Northern Starz is partnering with many educators and businesses across Minnesota to make sure students participating in this program get the most up to date, responsible, and impactful facts and stories. This program is meant for students who want to learn more about themselves, the LGBTQIA2S+ community, and how to be an aware and empathetic human. Every perspective is welcome. All adults are welcome and encouraged to participate in each educational day.
Pre-rehearsal educational days:
- The History of Pride
- What Have We Learned?
- MN Queer Cabaret Night
- Documentary Discussion
- Laramie Project Cast Lock-In
- Queer BIPOC Activist Presentations
- The History and Current U.S LGBTQ+ Laws
- Q&A with Queer Artist at White Bear Center for the Arts
Important date for The Laramie Project:
Friday, May 19th. 2023
Thursday, June 1st.
Saturday, June 10th.
Monday, June 19th.
Saturday, June 24th.
Saturday, July 8th.
Wednesday, July 26th.
Friday, July 28th.
Parent Meeting May 15th at 6:00pm
If you have questions before the parent meeting please reach out to [email protected]
Please register at www.northernstarz.org/auditions
Northern Starz Center for the Performing Arts
Rachel A Bohnsack
Monday, May 15 Posted February 8