POSITION: Lighting Supervisor
REPORTS TO: Director of Production and Operations
CLASSIFICATION: Full Time, Non-Exempt
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Theater Latté Da, the Twin Cities’ foremost producer of bold new and reimagined musical theater, seeks a full-time Lighting Supervisor to join our team. As a part of our nimble, dynamic organization, the Lighting Supervisor is responsible for leading the execution of all theatrical lighting needs for the organization as well as programming and operating the lighting system during technical rehearsals and performances. You will report to our DIrector of Production, and work with other department supervisors, to develop and implement plans that execute the creative team’s lighting vision and further develop the lighting department . In line with our organization-wide commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, you will implement Theater Latté Da’s access and anti-racist commitments in all aspects of your work.
Founded in 1998, Theater Latté Da (TLD) marks its 25th year of presenting original and re-imagined musical theater. Theater Latté Da seeks to create new connections between story, music, artist, and audience by exploring and expanding the art of musical theater. We believe in work that is bold and collaborative; we act with integrity and gratitude. These values infuse all aspects of the organization and drive the discussion at every stage of decision-making.
Theater Latté Da believes in a culture of inclusion, diversity, equity, and access. The diverse and dynamic interests of those who work here provide opportunities, both organized and impromptu, for individual pursuits and exploration. We are looking for a person who possesses the ability to fulfill the following roles and skills:
Areas of Responsibility and Key Duties:
Lighting Console Programming and Show Operation - 60%
- Program and operate the EOS ION lighting console for all technical rehearsals, performances, workshops, and special events that occur in the theater.
- Maintain the lighting equipment and creative team’s design throughout performances.
Design Execution - 15%
- Work closely with the Lighting Designer, Director, and Production Director to execute the lighting design for each production.
- Provide technical solutions to the creative team to execute practical and other lighting effects.
- Provide the creative team with a budget estimate to execute the design.
- Source and return rented and purchased lighting equipment as needed.
Lighting Crew Leader - 10%
- Hire, schedule, and lead lighting department employees including electricians, followspot operators, and emergency swings.
- Lead the lighting crew during hang, focus, and practical installation of each production.
- Train crew swings on the operation of lighting equipment and show procedures.
Departmental Management - 15%
- Oversee the maintenance and repair of all lighting equipment.
- Maintain current draftings and paperwork of the lighting systems.
- Ensure a safe workplace that complies with all regulations and best practices.
- Manage the lighting department budget in coordination with the Production Director.
- Stay current on best practices through ongoing professional development.
A successful Lighting Supervisor candidate will possess the following abilities and skills:
- Excellent skill and knowledge of theatrical lighting techniques.
- Excellent knowledge on the use of theatrical lighting equipment, especially operation of the EOS ION lighting console.
- Ability to lead and encourage a diverse team of professionals to execute a successful design.
- Ability to lead the lighting design process to achieve the designs within budgetary and practical limitations.
- Ability to work a varied schedule and be available for evenings and weekends at predetermined times.
- Ability to frequently work at heights or within confined spaces.
- Knowledge of safe working conditions including NEC and OSHA requirements.
COVID-19 SAFETY: All employees of Theater Latté Da are required to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 and to have received any booster(s) for which they are eligible. If the successful candidate is not currently fully vaccinated and boosted, they must be willing to receive a full course of vaccination prior to beginning employment. They are also expected to adhere to TLD Covid safety protocols, which currently require wearing an N95, KN95 or equivalent face mask at all times while in the Ritz Theater building, as well as weekly Covid testing.
SCHEDULE FLEXIBILITY: This position requires some weekday availability and frequent evening and weekend availability. Staff are currently working a hybrid schedule subject to the needs of each individual and their specific position. The Lighting Supervisor must be in-person for crew calls, technical rehearsals, performances, and events, but much of the administrative and management duties may be done remotely. Work/life balance is a meaningful value at Theater Latté Da.
PAY RATE: $22 per hour, overtime likely during technical rehearsals.
BENEFITS: Current benefits include employer-subsidized health and dental insurance, 11 paid company holidays annually, and paid time off.
Theater Latté Da is committed to acknowledging, addressing, and dismantling practices which impede progress. We are actively seeking a diverse pool of candidates and we welcome all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, or ancestry. Theater Latte Da is an equal opportunity employer, committed to telling diverse stories and to fostering an inclusive environment both onstage and off. EEO/W/M/Veteran Disability
To express your interest about this opportunity, please submit a resume and cover letter to https://forms.gle/9kSVHQB9EvH5foPf6
Questions about the position or issues with the Google form may be directed to [email protected]. Please include “Lighting Supervisor” in the subject line. Applications must be submitted through the Google form link above.
Applications will be reviewed as received and the posting will remain open until the position is filled.