POSITION: Traveling Exhibits Installation Technician
SUPERVISOR: Traveling Exhibits Sales Manager
CLASSIFICATION: Seasonal, Non-exempt
SCHEDULE: 3-7 days at Host installation site several times a year, requires national and/or international travel
Apply online at https://recruiting.paylocity.com/Recruiting/Jobs/Details/217743
Minnesota Children’s Museum is the nation’s leading developer of traveling children’s museum exhibits, reaching 2.5 million additional visitors annually. Our current portfolio consists of 15 active exhibits, including Thomas & Friends™: Explore the Rails, Curious George™: Let’s Get Curious! and Storyland: A Trip Through Childhood Favorites™, which are rented to children’s museums, science museums, and other family-serving organizations across North America. Our traveling exhibit program leverages the museum’s core strength of producing engaging exhibits that foster children’s learning.
Traveling Exhibits Installation Technician leads the set up and installation of traveling exhibit components in museums, aquariums, and other family-serving organizations nationally and internationally. This position demonstrates best practices in handling, assembling and disassembling of exhibition components while employing the utmost safety standards and customer service.
Traveling Exhibits Installation Technician will lead and manage the Host institution’s crew members in an efficient and professional manner. This position will also be responsible for minor repairs, touch ups, training Hosts on de-installation processes, and completing the Incoming Condition Report. This position supervises Host installation staff, volunteers, and/or interns.
• Ability to work weekends and a varied schedule
• Capability to lift heavy objects of 50 lbs.
• Knowledge of safe lifting techniques and safe shop procedures
• Awareness of building materials, exhibit finishes, and construction techniques
• Ability to assess mechanical failures and formulate safe, practical, and cost-effective solutions
• Skill in operating shop machinery
• Capability to organize time and work in an effective manner
• No formal education required.
• One year experience in exhibit fabrication and repair or related field preferred
• Customer service experience.
• Proven knowledge of media hardware installation, including overhead projector and speaker rigging, along with Raspberry Pi and other technologies.
• Must be able to travel by air stateside and abroad (nationally and internationally) and obtain a valid passport.
• Valid driver’s license required.
Minnesota Children’s Museum’s mission is sparking children’s learning through play. We are dedicated to providing children with a fun, hands-on and stimulating environment to explore and discover. With locations in St. Paul and Rochester, MCM employs 65 full-time and 90 part-time employees and engages over 1,500 volunteers and interns. At MCM, our workplace values that guide how we work together are: Play, Include, Grow, Serve, and Strive.
Minnesota Children’s Museum is dedicated to growing a diverse and culturally competent team of highly engaged staff and volunteers to reflect and equitably serve the vibrant community around us. We embrace differences in age, ability, color, ethnicity, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, race, religion, and sexual orientation. We strongly encourage the application of individuals from diverse backgrounds, including but not limited to: Black, Indigenous, and people of color; immigrants and refugees; LBGTQIA individuals; people with disabilities; religious minorities; and the elderly.