Position Details: Gustavus Adolphus College invites applications for a full-time (0.85 FTE), benefits eligible, one academic year position of Instructor of the Practice in the Department of Theatre and Dance to begin August 15, 2024.
Institution Information: Gustavus Adolphus College is one of the nation’s leading private liberal arts colleges serving 2,000 students, where faculty help equip students to lead purposeful lives and to act on the great challenges of our time. The College aspires to be a community of persons from diverse backgrounds who respect and affirm the dignity of all people. Gustavus is located on a scenic 340-acre hill in St. Peter, Minnesota, and within a short drive to the Minneapolis/Saint Paul and Mankato metro areas. Learn more at https://gustavus.edu/provost/newfaculty/.
Department Information: The Department of Theatre and Dance involves students in creative inquiry, embodied knowledge, inventive collaboration, and skillful expression of ideas emphasizing the value of performance as a vital means of working for social justice and personal transformation. We are a production-driven department with two mainstage venues and multiple supporting studio spaces and fully equipped production shops. For more information about the department, its faculty, students, and courses, please see the department website: https://gustavus.edu/theatre-dance/.
- MFA in Performance Design (BA or BFA in the Performing Arts with considerable professional or academic experience will also be considered)
- Knowledge of sewing shop tools and equipment
- Knowledge of costume safety standards
- Ability to work collaboratively
- CPR and first-aid certified
- Experience working in a professional and/or academic costume shop
- Demonstrated excellence and experience in costume design for theatre and dance
- Demonstrated commitment to supporting students from diverse backgrounds and identities
Things you will do:
- Teach one course (such as T/D 225: Costume Craft and Design, T/D 120 Stage Make-up, or a course in the instructor’s area of expertise)
- Supervise and instruct 5-15 student employees working in the department’s costume shop in proper use of shop tools and equipment, proper construction techniques, and other instruction as productions require
- Mentor 1 or 2 student designers in the area of costume design
- Design costumes or mentor student designers for 3 fully-produced theatre productions, one dance production, and one “workshop” theatre production with minimum tech/design support in the 2024-2025 academic year
- Maintain the costume shop equipment
- Supervise costume rentals
- Contribute to the Department of Theatre and Dance’s pedagogy and mission
Things you can choose to do:
- Improve your teaching by joining a teaching circle, participating in workshops, applying for an internal teaching development grant, and engaging in conversations about teaching with colleagues across campus.
- Develop professional skills by participating in faculty meetings and committees, attending faculty development days, and taking advantage of the College’s membership to the National Center for Faculty Development and Diversity (NCFDD).
How to apply:
Visit https://gustavus.edu/jobs/ and complete the online application. The documents that must be uploaded include the following:
- Letter of application that addresses the required and preferred position qualifications
- Curriculum vitae
- A brief (one page) statement outlining your approach to the production process in collaboration with designers, director, crews, and shop personnel
- Electronic portfolio or link to website with work samples.
- Transcripts (scanned copies acceptable)
- The names and contact information for three professional references (at least one must be able to address teaching experience and teaching effectiveness; please indicate the teaching reference in your letter of application). Please do not ask references to submit letters of recommendation; the committee will conduct reference checks by phone.
For full consideration, applications must be received by March 15, 2024. While applications may be accepted after this date, it is not guaranteed that they will be considered. At this time, please only upload the required documents listed above; finalists may be asked to submit additional materials. Incomplete applications will not be considered by the search committee.
Things you might like:
Based on AAUP (American Association of University Professors) and CUPA (College and University Professional Association) data, we offer a starting salary that is competitive with our peer institutions as well as comprehensive benefits that prioritize your personal and financial well-being.
- Medical insurance (which includes access to Nice Healthcare) as well as dental, vision, and life insurance
- Workplace accommodations for physical or mental health concerns
- Access to mental health apps
- Onsite health services
- Free parking, exercise classes, and use of library and athletic facilities
- Paid parental leave (after one year of employment)
- Multifaith sabbath
- Employer match contribution to retirement savings plan (after one year of employment)
- 1-on-1 financial coaching
Gustavus Adolphus College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, disability, religion, age, sexual orientation, or veteran status in its education or employment programs or activities.
Learn more about Gustavus's campus-wide commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging: https://gustavus.edu/deib/.