MAJOR GIFTS OFFICER
40 hours/week - Full-Time
Reports to: Advancement Director
The Major Gifts Officer is an integral member of the development team at Playwrights’ Center. This position requires a strong understanding of fundraising practices and principles, the ability to be flexible, comfort taking initiative, and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively. Some knowledge of the twin cities arts funding community is a plus. If you have experience in establishing clear direction with fundraising goals, operating against objectives, and are ready for the next big step in your development career then we’d love to get to know more about you!
In the meantime, here’s a bit more about us. The organization is currently in the midst of a multi-year campaign and this position will be a member of the team who helps us get to the finish line and beyond. We have recently incorporated our development and marketing departments into a unified advancement team. While the Major Gifts Officer will be focused primarily on fundraising, the ideal candidate for this position will recognize the importance of a development model that engages new and long-term audience members, new and long-term donors, and a host of other constituencies in supporting the Center in a variety of ways, financial and otherwise. As we continue to work towards having all areas of development and marketing under one brand voice, the Major Gifts Officer would be a strong addition to a dynamic and growing team.The Major Gifts Officer will report to the Advancement Director and is a full-time, 52-week position based in Minneapolis. This is not a remote position, but we are open to strong candidates who are willing to relocate and are looking forward to becoming a part of the Twin Cities community.
Responsibilities of the role will include:
- Relationship Management and Solicitation (60%)
- Work in collaboration with Advancement Director to develop, manage, and execute fundraising strategies, work plans, annual appeals, and campaign calendars
- Responsible for all individual giving programs, including direct mail and email appeals, prospect research, benefit fulfillment, and donor stewardship
- Participate in the development, planning, and execution of special events (e.g. open rehearsals, season events, and donor receptions)
- Create donor cultivation, solicitation, and acknowledgment correspondence
- Work closely with the board of directors and External Affairs Committee to ensure development goals are in line with long term institutional planning and external communications
- Produce targeted mailing lists for appeals, invitation mailings, and season brochures and work closely with marketing staff to produce printed materials related to fundraising (e.g. invitations, donor brochures, season materials)
- Ability to establish gift acceptance policies and procedures
- Work with the finance department to complete monthly reconciliation
- Strategy and Cultivation (20%)
- Partner with Advancement Director and outside counsel on strategy and execution for major gift opportunities for Capacity Campaign
- Lead strategy and execution to expand opportunities in individual and major gift support of annual fund
- Monitoring and Reporting (10%)
- Track and report relationship management activity using internal systems and processes
- Monitor quarterly and annual activity to achieve major gift revenue goals
- Using predetermined benchmarks, provide data analysis and reporting of the effectiveness and efficiency of the major gift program
- Department Leadership (10%)
- Assists the Advancement Director in managing a small development staff that includes a Development Assistant and a freelance grant writer, alongside advancement department colleagues, including a copywriter and designer/social media manager.
- A solution-oriented thinker who understands how to effectively fundraise, build authentic relationships and create win-win opportunities for the organization, our donors and the artists and communities we serve
- Minimum 3 years of development experience (preferably in an arts-related space), and a deep comfort level with donor stewardship and some database management
- Background in development at various levels and capacity to formulate both traditional and entrepreneurial strategies
- Direct experience in strategizing, leading, and implementing a fundraising campaign is a plus
- Ability and commitment to working with diverse groups in terms of gender expression, race, sexual orientation, religion, ability, age, class and immigrant status
- Dependability and collaborative spirit
- Proven track record soliciting and closing major gifts, building and cultivating relationships, and leveraging/fostering a strong network of contacts
- Proficient database skills are essential or knowledge of fundraising/CRM software systems
- Outstanding communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills
- A high level of discretion and confidentiality regarding donor records
- Access to a vehicle to regularly meet with donors and prospects
Salary and Benefits:
- Annual salary is $60,000 - $70,000, commensurate with qualifications and experience
- Vacation, Sick Leave, and Holiday Pay in addition to a generous PTO package
- Personalized professional development opportunities
- Full Health Benefit Options
- Optional IRA Retirement Plan
The Playwrights' Center is an equal opportunity employer committed to the perspective of all voices in every aspect of our organization and its practice. We celebrate diversity and strive to create a dynamic work environment that values inclusion, respect and integrity, service, and innovation. We seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, sample solicitation letter and résumé to: [email protected] and include “Major Gifts Officer - MN Playlist” in the subject line. Please use your cover letter to tell us about your interest in the arts and culture space and what you hope to bring to this role.
General accessibility information for the Playwrights’ Center can be found at pwcenter.org/accessibility and we are happy to answer other accessibility questions sent to [email protected].