This is a part time, non-exempt position that reports to Minnesota Playlist’s CEO
Playlist is seeking a detail-oriented journalist to join our team of writers for our online magazine. The journalism team at Playlist focuses on reporting the news of our performing arts community through editorials, interviews, pre-press, and in-depth researched articles. The team works together to support the work of each other through shared editorial planning and publishing. Journalist will work one week a cycle as an editor/publisher for the rest of the team. If you are interested in a new way of approaching the journalism / editor relationship you are encouraged to apply. Playlist is specifically seeking writers of color to broaden our connections to the BIPOC performing arts community as part of our action plan following our 2019 community survey.
Playlist’s journalistic values:
- Honest: our writing reflects what there is (facts), our opinions are reported as such.
- Accurate: quotes and content are checked, vetted, and presented in good faith.
- Demonstrate Integrity: we publish the news and stories of our industry, not gossip or slander.
- Diverse: in our content, in our style, in our representation.
- Ethical: we do what’s right, sometimes we take a knee.
Job duties and responsibilities
- Attend regular journalism team meetings
- Write and submit assigned articles on time
- Contribute to long term editorial goals of journalism team
- Provide editing and publishing support on a rotating schedule
Qualifications or requirements
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 10 published articles (paid or paid equivalent) OR six months of consistent writer / journalist employment.
- Flexible schedule to accommodate interviews, attendance at performing arts events, etc
- Ability to deliver on a deadline
- Collaborative attitude
- Computer or computer access for writing, and online access for flexible communication
- Experience working in a flat hierarchy
- One year (or equivalent) employed as a professional journalist
- $15 an hour
- 10 - 16 hours a month
How to Apply
- Please submit a resume, cover letter, and three published articles (links are fine) to [email protected]
- Note: multiple positions are currently open for this role
- Job posting will remain open until filled